Organisation: Stanbic Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 13508
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Head Legal will support the Board, Country Chief Executive and Senior Management in discharging his/her responsibilities relating to the compliance and legal risk mitigation as required by relevant regulatory requirements and international best practice and the relevant legislation. The incumbent will;
· Co-create the strategy for the development and execution of a Legal culture in the subsidiary across all business units.
· Facilitate the process for implementing existing, new and / or amended statutory, regulatory and supervisory requirements.
· Ensure the implementation of a sound corporate governance framework within the Bank.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Legal Advisory:
· Offer legal advice to the Management and business units of the Bank
· Oversee the litigation against the Bank with the Bank’s external solicitors and keep Management and Board informed on such matters.
· Regularly review and/or prepare all legal instruments (apart from routine Credit documentation) entered into by the Bank to ensure that the Bank’s interests are protected.
· Review the Bank’s standard forms and documentation to ensure completeness and to simplify, where possible
· Continuously examine and appraise changes in the legal and regulatory environment that may impact on the Bank’s performance.
2. Legal Risk Management:
· Ensure legal and reputational risk are minimised to avoid the risk of loss to the Bank. Legal Sign-off of new products or product amendments in line with procedures.
· Draft/review all agreements to be entered by the bank and third parties.
· Maintain a centralized register of agreements.
· Proactively identify legal problems and proposing appropriate solutions.
· Be the central point in the bank for all litigation matters involving the bank.
· Work closely with external lawyers with regard to litigation matters/where external legal opinions have been requested
· Provision of accurate, expert and specialist legal advice to all divisions and business units of the Bank.
3. Corporate Secretariat:
· Ensure local governance structure is in line with local requirements and group standard.
· Maintain a good relationship with members of the Board of Directors.
· Provide efficient corporate secretarial services to stakeholders.
· The job holder will be managing the Legal Department within budget.
· Supports the mentoring and training of staff.
· Ensuring appropriate actions on personal development plan (PDP) needs of staffs are taken.
· Adhere to delegated authority assigned from time to time.
· Adhere to the bank’s established risk management processes and procedures.
· Maintain awareness of Group Legal requirements as contained in Group Reference Guides and communication in circulars from time to time
· Carry out legal research on issues relevant to legal risk management as identified from time to time.
· Resolve credit, legal and business concerns in a solution-orientated manner, which reflect an acceptable balance between the bank’s commercial and legal interests;
· Ensure proper record keeping and version control (whether electronically or in hard copy);
· Ensure a Legal Documentation template library is kept and maintained.
· As appropriate, identify any new developments or current requirements in laws which necessitate an improvement to the bank’s standard legal documentation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold an LLB or its equivalent from a recognised institution
· The incumbent must be a member of the Uganda Bar Association of good standing
· Familiarity and knowledge of all statutory, regulatory and supervisory requirements that impact on the operations of the Bank
· Solicitor of the High Court of Uganda with at least 10 years at the Bar
· A minimum of five years’ experience in Board Secretarial work with a similar institution
· Advanced level proficiency in the following competencies;
· Skills and knowledge of corporate legal services management
· Applies knowledge and understanding the role and functions of corporate legal services within the context of the local legislative and industry regulatory framework.
· Legal Knowledge: Knowledge of applicable legislation and the legal policies and procedures pertaining to the local, regional and relevant international laws.
· Legal Advisory and Interpretation: The ability to advise on the development of policies and strategies on legislative matters through legislative analysis and interpretation.
· Dispute Resolution: Demonstrates skills and abilities needed to effectively develop and present the Organisation’s interests in matters of dispute.
· Court Processes and Procedures: Is able to act in accordance with the duties of an official of the court or legal representative when participating in court procedures.
· Legal Administration: Understands the laws and legal principles governing the administration and contractual obligations of the organisation.
· Legal Research: The ability to review case law and statutory provisions to determine the most appropriate response from the organisation.
· Financial Industry Regulatory Framework: Insight into and understanding of the various laws and regulations regulating the financial services industry.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Standard Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking here.
Deadline: 27th October, 2015