Duty Station: Uganda
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Job Summary: The Teacher Educator will build the capacity of pre-service tutors and students in preparation for school practice
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with Pre-service Tutors, Pre-service students & head teachers at college & school level
· The incumbent will be tasked with reviewing school practice guidelines to support pre-service training needs and better implementation of school practice. This will include conducting demonstration lessons for year two students at the college.
· Carry out at least one peer group meeting for head teacher to understand their needs/concerns during school practice
· Conduct college-based training from needs identified through review of School practice guidelines & peer group meetings
2. VSO Level Engagement:
· Actively participate in VSO coordinated activities with other partners/stakeholders
· Prepare quarterly work plan, requisitions and reports as by placement objectives
· Attend and participate in quarterly planning and coordination review meetings coordinated by VSO
· Prepare for quarterly placement reviews with the programme manager or officer at placement location or at VSO quarterly meetings
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should hold a diploma or degree in primary education, experience in teacher training or primary teaching
· At least five years’ experience in training and coaching education professionals
· Good facilitation skills (e.g. workshops)
· Prior experience in developing training materials for student teachers
· Computer literacy skills
· Excellent planning, organizational and management competencies.
· Highly results oriented.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision.
· Language: Excellent English language skills essential, especially writing skills.
· Building and Sustaining working relationships: The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a commongoal.
· Open Minded and Respectful: A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
· Seeking and Sharing Knowledge: Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
· Facilitating Positive Change: The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
· Adaptability: A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
· Resilience: The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form at the web link below.
Deadline: 30th October 2015