Job Title: Commodity Officer (2 Vacancies)
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda.
World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Commodity Officer will offer technical and direct management oversight of the food aid program at the district level to ensure quality food programming, systems and procedures and accountability within the framework of World Vision and the donor standards and guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Food Aid Programming:
- Supervision of Field Operation:
- Commodity Reporting: Compile and send monthly and quarterly narrative reports as per the agreed scheduled with the Donor and National Office.
- Management of invoicing process: Ensure all invoices plus corresponding backups are submitted to the field donor office in Gulu within the agreed timeline.
- Staff Management:Develop and implement a staff capacity building plan on areas of commodity management, food distribution, and nutrition and hygiene sensitization in order to meet established standards through on the job training, reflections and any other appropriate and cost effective methods.
- Coordination and Networking:
- Offer management supervision and oversight for the food aid program and track food aid programming budget and assets at the district level.
- Actively collaborate and coordinate with other technical staff in areas of food programming research, impact learning, innovative programming and partnerships as well as the dissemination of major food programming issues, new ideas and trends, advocacy and the optimization of food programming for both relief and development need in the in West Nile region.
- Develop monitoring plan for all food aid in the district and ensure that regular and rigorous monitoring takes place during implementation.
- Track major trends and findings and take action to ensure project objectives are accomplished.
- Offer technical oversight through periodic visits to monitor and review all aspects of the food programming and systems as well as to provide appropriate feedback and recommendations
- Management of the entire process of distribution planning, food dispatch from the warehouse to the Food Distribution Point(FDP) , receipt of food at the FDP, distribution, returns and accounting of losses.
- Carry out un-scheduled and scheduled field visit to observe distribution and check compliance with set standards.
- Ensure that proper food handling and accountability systems are in place including the maintenance of all required records, documentation and installation and operation of Commodity Tracking System (CTS) at the district level.
- Oversee CTS installation and operationalization at the district level and put in place proper systems and schedules for review of documents and reports with a view to ensure compliance with World Vision and donor standards and guidelines.
- Ensure beneficiary list tally with all supporting documentation (Waybill, Tracking Inspection Report (TIR), Unloading tally sheet, Distribution Centre Visit Report (DCVR) & Certificate of food receipt and distribution).
- Organize staff meeting to discuss project implementation as well as challenges and success.
- Actively participate in monthly management meetings.
- Actively participate in district coordination meetings with donor and other stakeholders.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should preferably hold a good Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or development.
- Three to five years post qualification experience, preferably with a busy NGO or UN agency, in food commodities handling tracking and accounting.
- Prior experience with Commodity Tracking System and or UN World Food Programme (WFP) Compass system is an added advantage.
- Good working knowledge of WFP regulations pertaining to relief food commodities tracking accounting and reporting.
- Self starter, who can accomplish the task with minimal or no supervision.
- He/she should be able to manage a team of staff as well as cooperate with other units.
- He/she must be keen on details and well organized individual.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates must send their applications with complete Curriculum Vitae, via email to: email@example.com. Please address the application to the People and Culture Specialist (Recruitment) and do indicate the post title in the email subject line.
NB: Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 24th September, 2014.