Job Title: Field Humanitarian Operations Leader (3 Job Positions)
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale.
In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 200 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In 2013, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Job Summary: The Field Humanitarian Operations Leader will be deployed to the Refugee Settlement to manage the settlement’s response to the humanitarian crisis and to provide strategic direction to the country programme in collaboration with the Line Manager and the Director of Programme Operations. The Team Leader is responsible for identifying needs and resources and elaborating programme recommendations for the emergency response in the district in line with Save the Children national and global priorities. He/she will ensure that all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies are adhered to. The post holder will play a leadership role in the refugee settlement in the management of Save the Children emergency programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The job suitor should possess a Bachelor degree in Education, social science or related discipline.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in humanitarian response programmes of managing programme teams in humanitarian/emergency crisis is essential.
- Past experience of working with local partners and District Local Government in Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, HIV/AIDS or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Possess the ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Exhibit willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy skills and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity
- Multi-site security management in insecure environments
- Possess the ability to speak local language and directly interact with target group will be an added advantage
How to apply for the job:
All interested candidates should submit their applications with cover letters and a detailed CVs indicating three professional referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors should be submitted to: The Director of Human Resources & Administration Save the Children Plot 68/70, Kiira Road P O Box 12018, Kampala, Uganda Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer, persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NB: Testimonials/certificates should not be attached to applications that are submitted online. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity.
Deadline: Friday, 6th June 2014