Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU) is a marketing-focused, results-oriented social business that uses modem management and marketing techniques to provide family planning and reproductive healthcare across every district of Uganda. We aim to contribute 15 points to Uganda’s contraceptive prevalence rate by 2015 saving and improving many thousands of Ugandan lives. MSU has 25% of the market share in modem contraceptives and, In 2010/2011, safely delivered 50,000 babies and contributed 4 points to Uganda’s contraceptive prevalence rate. MSU has enjoyed 20% year on year growth since 2007 MSU is part of a global network, Marie Stopes International (MSI), and subscribes to MSI goal and mission, to prevent unwanted births and to ensure individual’s rights to Children by Choice not Chance.
Organisation: Marie Stopes Uganda (MSU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Soroti, Lira, Masaka, Kabale, Uganda
Reports to: Centre Manager
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Client Care:
- Provide comprehensive laboratory services to centre clients.
- Taking necessary steps to ensure that all centre clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration.
- Promptly refer clients to the Centre Manager if complaints are raised
2. Technical Excellence:
- Based on laboratory request form and recorded client notes, be able to conduct and report on the tests such as: Blood slide for malaria, film commentary, Urinalysis, Microscopy (stool, urine, HVS swabs), occult blood (stool), white cell count, blood grouping, clotting time, ESR, widal tests, VDRL/RPR, HB, Gram Stain, Brucella test, HCG test, Sickling Test, blood sugar, semen analysis, sputum AAFB, HIV rapid tests AND any other relevant tests
- Ensure that the highest standards of laboratory services are provided to clients as per AMREF, MOH and MSI guidelines.
- Take responsibility and ensure that their laboratory comply with Infection Prevention Guidelines
- Ensure the reagents are correctly transported and stored (including maintenance of cold chain for refrigerated reagents)
- Ensure a warm and attractive laboratory environment for clients.
- Ensure that the laboratory is clean, neat and tidy at all times.
3. Record Keeping and Reporting:
- Ensure that laboratory test orders and results for company clients are properly recorded on the claim forms
- Ensure that the laboratory test orders and results for all other clients are clearly and properly recorded
- Ensure that the laboratory registers are correctly and neatly completed (MSU clients, VCT & Outside Contract Work etc)
- Ensure that timely monthly laboratory reports are forwarded to the Centre Manager.
- Monitor fridge temperature and record the figures (temperature inside fridge) on a daily basis
- Timely and accurate recording and submission of results to medical staff and Centre Manager accordingly.
4. Budgetary control:
In liaison with the Centre Manager:
- Takes responsibility for costs in the laboratory to be contained within the approved annual budget.
- Strives for income from laboratory services to meet or exceed budgeted targets, including providing contract laboratory services for non MSU clients to improve sustainability of laboratory service provision.
5. Promotional Activities:
Community Outreach: The laboratory technician shall participate on community outreach activities as directed by the Centre Manager. This may include mobile VCT services, and other networking activities.
Promotion: Fully participates on planned promotional activities as required and directed by the Centre Manager.
6. Supplies Management:
- In liaison with the Centre Manager, ensures that adequate, but not excessive stocks are maintained.
- Ensure that Laboratory stock cards are up-dated regularly.
- Ensures that appropriate spare equipment (e.g. bulbs for microscope, slides, test tubes) is maintained at the centre to avoid inconveniencing clients.
- Ensure that the Centre Manager is alerted in a timely manner of expiring reagents to allow for timely notice to Support Office and transfer to another centre for usage.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Diploma in Medical Laboratory Techniques from a recognized institution
- Full registration with Allied Health Professionals Council
- At least two years work experience in a busy clinical setting
- Computer Literacy skills (MS Packages).
How to Apply:
If interested in working with Marie Stopes Uganda, Please send a CV and Cover letter by email to [email protected] or post to the Senior Manager, People and Development. Plot 1020, Kisugu- Muyenga, P.O Box 10431, Kampala-Uganda, quoting the position title. Marie Stopes Uganda is an equal opportunities employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Mane Stopes Uganda is thankful to all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet alt requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Deadline: Friday 29th November, 2013 by 6pm