Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University – the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.
Job Summary: The Accountant will primarily be responsible for accounting related functions in office of the Directorate of Finance at Uganda Christian University (UCU).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Accountant will prepare and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess their accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- He / she will also compute and prepare returns for statutory deductions such as PAYE, NSSF and WHT ensuring compliance with the payments, reporting and other tax requirements.
- Posts and reconciles all payments into the general ledger
- Assists the staff in processing bank loans and bank introduction letters
- Ensures that all staff payroll deductions for the month are properly captured and entered in the general ledger
- Develops, maintains, and analyzes budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted expenditures to actual expenditures
- Perform any other job roles as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Accountant must possess a good bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Accounting or Economics from a recognized university or institution of higher learning
- Possess full accounting professional qualifications such as ACCA, Certified Public Accountant-CPA, Certified Internal Auditor-CIA, certified Information Systems Auditor-CISA or MBA
- Prior experience of having worked in an audit firm for at least two years as an Audit Senior will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of having worked in an education of higher learning institution will be an added advantage
- Good working knowledge of working in a computerized environment will be an advantage
- Exposure and experience in the use of accounting software like sage pastel, sun systems, quick books or FOCUS is a must
- The applicant must be a Mature and Committed Christian
How to Apply for the job:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references.
Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts
The Director of Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University
Po Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: Friday, 28th February 2014 by 5:00p.m.