Job Title: Team Leader (Agricultural Value Chains)
Cardno Emerging Markets are preparing to submit a proposal for the upcoming DFID funded Improving Rural Markets Value Chains in Northern Uganda.
Cardno is an international professional infrastructure and environmental services company with over 60 years’ experience and 8,000 people shaping the future for communities around the world. Cardno Emerging Markets, part of the Cardno Ltd group, is an international development company with more than 40 years’ experience in providing consulting and Technical Assistance services to international donors and national governments in private sector development, enterprise development, fund management and livelihoods as well as designing of knowledge management and monitoring and evaluation frameworks for multi-year projects. The Emerging Markets Division has eight corporate offices and over 150 project offices on five continents and brings together over 900 technical specialists and development professionals who speak 40 languages.
About DFID Programme:
The Department for International Development (DFID) shall be funding the Improving Rural Market Value Chains Programme which seeks to develop agricultural markets in Northern Uganda. The programme will address key market failures and encouraging private sector investment in medium to large agribusiness companies. The key market failures identified by DFID are land tenure issues, input markets, storage, infrastructure and access to finance. In addition, the objective of the programme will be to increase agricultural productivity and promote and reform regulations and standards.
In its current form the programme will involve a Market Systems and an Access to Finance component. The market system component will involve market systems analysis alongside identifying the top 20 regional agribusiness investments. The access to finance component will utilise a number of approaches to stimulate investment in agribusiness in Northern Uganda, including credit lines, a tendered debt fund and access to private equity, partnering with AgDevCo and the Agribusiness Initiative (aBi) Trust. The programme is expected to last five years and located in Kampala with frequent site visits to Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Team Leader will be responsible for the strategic vision, overall delivery and results of the programme. The Team Leader will also be responsible for the management of a team of international and local consultants
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Programme Management:
- Offer overall strategic direction to the programme and assume responsibility for meeting programme objectives.
- Provide overall programme management in Uganda overseeing all components of programme implementation.
2. Client Relationship Management and Reporting: Act as spokesperson for the programme, and presenting its work.
3. Stakeholder Management:
- Work closely with other active donors, key stakeholders and relevant programmes within the region.
- Ensure a focus on poverty reduction remains central to the project strategy, activities, and implementation.
4. Personnel Management: Supervise the work of all long and short-term staff and subcontractors.
5. Programme Administration: Manage key staff to ensure the monitoring and evaluation of the overall programme and timely submission of reports.
6. Financial Management and Procurement: Develop and implement the programme strategy, business plan and budget, while ensuring value for money and delivery of results
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold team Leader experience on large donor-funded projects, preferably DFID.
- Significant experience of implementing agribusiness programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Past experience working with both the value chains and market systems approaches in an East African context.
- Past exposure and experience of working in the private sector development and finance sector and of improving access to finance in the agricultural sector.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Ugandan context, in particular Northern Uganda.
How to Apply for the job:
All correspondence at this stage should be via Cardno emerging Markets. To apply for this position, please complete our online application form and submit the following information:
- An up to date curriculum vitae (of no more than 2-3 sides of A4)
- A detailed statement (of no more than 2 sides of A4) detailing why you are interested in this position and how your skills and experience meet the selection criteria
Visit the recruitment link, Click Here, which provides key information Cardno will need to take your application through the recruitment process.
NB: The documents should be saved in Word in the following format: Your first name, Your last name, Document Name and Date e.g. John Smith CV May 2014
Deadline: 27th June 2014 (by midnight GMT)