The AIDS Support Organization (TASO) Uganda , an organisation contributing to a process of preventing HIV infection, restoring hope and improving the quality of Life of persons, families and communities affected by HIV infection and disease, requires the services of dedicated, competent, innovative and results oriented persons for employment on a contract basis for the positions above;
Job Title: Laboratory Technologist (4 Vacancies)
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technologist will mainly manage sample processing and testing on all the samples received in accordance with set policies and standards with ability to operate all various types of laboratory equipment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Testing samples for CD4, Haematology, clinical chemistry, microbiology and other routine tests as may be requested including carrying out of proficiency testing
· In charge of the registration and renewal of Annual practicing license for TASO centre laboratory under Allied Health Professionals council (AHPC)
· Observe QA/QC while performing all laboratory procedures with high maintenance of laboratory equipments.
· Request for laboratory supplies and participating in inventory and stock taking
· Reading fridge and room temperatures and charting them in addition to preparation of working reagents where necessary.
· Carry mentorship to in-service laboratory personnel attached to the site
· Follow standard laboratory formulas and procedures including safety guidelines, the use of personal protective equipment and awareness of blood- borne pathogens as emphasised by the Uganda National Laboratory Policy
· Actively monitor inventory levels and order materials and supplies in accordance with established TASO policies and procedures.
· Make specifications of required HIV test kits and other laboratory supplies and reagents to be procured, and carry out verifications of the supplies and reagents delivered
· Monitor the usage of laboratory supplies
· Monitor the functionality of laboratory equipment and ensure that they are in good working condition
· Maintain quality assurance and control in the laboratory
· Maintain security of laboratory specimens and samples
· Make sure that standard operating procedures (SOPS) are developed and operationalised
· Ensure proper and safety disposal of medical waste
· Compile and submit periodic reports to the Medical Coordinator and to the Laboratory Services specialist
Key Performance Areas:
· Laboratory services managed
· Laboratory investigations done as requested
· Laboratory records management done
· Build capacity of health centres in specified region
· Strengthening Laboratory Management towards accreditation (SLMTA)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The Laboratory Technologist should hold a Diploma in medical laboratory Technology with a bias in either clinical chemistry, Microbiology/Parasitology or Haematology. Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences
· Past GCLP and CLP training will be added advantages.
· At least two years’ working experience and must be registered with AHPC with an up to date Annual practicing license.
· High degree of Integrity, Empathy, Patience, Confidentiality
· Possess the ability to work under mental and physical stress
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who meet all the above requirements are invited to send their updated resumes, copies of certified academic certificates, testimonials and three referees.
All interested Candidates MUST attach a fully filled Application Form, download here, or pick it at any TASO Center.
Note: Please firmly staple your papers together and indicate post applied for on right hand corner of envelop. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please forward your applications to:
The Director Human Resource & Administration
P.O. BOX 10443,
“OR hand deliver your application to TASO HQ level II, located at Old Mulago Hospital.”
Deadline: 23rd May 2014 at 4:30 pm.