Job Title: Basic Education Specialist
The Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Program is a programme where various donors pool funds together to support low income countries towards the achieving the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) of Universal Education For All (EFA) and gender parity in education.
In July 2011. Uganda became eligible for a grant from the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Fund (GPEF) as support towards the implementation of the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP). In November 2013, Uganda’s Application for the grant worth USD $100M was approved by the GPE Board. The development partners, in consultations with the Government of Uganda endorsed the nomination of World Bank to act as the Supervising Entity for the grant.
The Project Development Objective is to support the Government of Uganda in improving teacher and school effectiveness in the public primary education system. The project is centered on improving education service delivery at teacher, school and system level to realize meaningful gains in pupil achievement in primary grades.
Job Summary: The GPE Basic Education Specialist will offer technical support to MoES GPE Project Coordination Unit (PCU) in the implementation of activities related to the Basic Education Department The assignment is highly technical and managerial, and is designed to provide high level support for quality and timely execution of GPE activities the Basic Education Department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a technical link between GPE MoES Project Coordination Unit (PCU) and the Basic Education Department for quality and timely execution of planned GPE activities.
- Technically support the Basic Education Department in working closely with other MoES Directorates. Departments and Units: Teacher Education, NCDC, DES, Instructional Materials Unit (IMU) Procurement and Disposal Unit (PDU) and UNEB on the implementation of GPE activities.
- Support the Basic Education Department in working closely with Districts/ Municipalities, partners and other stakeholders on the implementation of GPE activities.
- Document best practices and success stories in Districts and Primary Schools for Basic Education.
- Prepare work plans (annual and quarterly) and reports (progress, quarterly and annual) related to the project activities for the Basic Education Department.
- Perform any other duties or project management assignments that the Project Coordination Unit and Basic Education Department may assign
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must possess a bachelors degree in Education (Early Childhood or Primary Education) and ten years of experience in the education sector;
- Possession of a Masters degree in Education:
- Expertise in working with and supporting government structures at national and district levels.
- Computer literate and competent in the use of programs such as: MS Word. MS Excel and MS Power Point and the use of ICT project planning tools like MS Project or equivalent and demonstrate how these would be used to enhance the project planning and performance;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills particularly for reporting functions:
- Leadership abilities and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines with minimum supervision
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to send their applications to the: Assistant Commissioner. Human Resource Management. 4th Floor, Embassy House, Ministry of Education and Sports (MOES), Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 30th April, 2014