The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-governmental, non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF).
The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate communicable disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of
HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of influenza and other emerging infections. The Project is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below:
Position Title: LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (1)
Location: MUWRP Laboratory, located at Makerere University College of Health Sciences.
Position Summary: The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for MUWRP laboratory located in Kampala. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to maintain proficiency in current laboratory procedures such as general QA/QC, Specimen accessioning, and PBMC processing, Clinical Chemistry
Manual and automated Hematology. Additionally he/ she is expected to perform Laboratory safety duties and learn new research techniques as they come into the laboratory. This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in most laboratory activities as well as other project activities that pertain to the laboratory
and its scientific development. The incumbent may be required to assist the senior staff in teaching new technologists/technicians and volunteer students in laboratory practices. The incumbent may be required to perform their duties away from the main MUWRP lab in Kampala. MUWRP may have sites within Uganda which Technologists may be required to work such as but not limited to Bundibugyo/Kayunga.
Essential Duties & Training Responsibilities:
1. Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning and PBMC, Plasma and serum processing per SOP and become proficient enough toconduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples.
2. Proficiently conduct Automated and Manual Hematology including Malaria microscopy as established in the SOPs for each assay.
3. Proficiently conduct clinical chemistry, troubleshooting and maintenance of the equipment as established in the SOPs and operator’s manual.
4. Proficiently perform pregnancy and urinalysis assays as established in the SOPs.
5. Proficiently perform Aptima assays as established in the SOPs.
6. The incumbent will be required during his/her training in the Principle laboratories at Makerere University/Walter Reed Project at Medical School in Kampala to work closely with the various heads of sections.
7. Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
8. Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
Required Education And Knowledge: Bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory technology, Bachelors in medical laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field. Experience with PBMC processing as well as conducting clinical chemistry, manual and automated hematology will be an added advantage.
Physical Ability: Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The incumbent should have ability to travel to and from work and the Project’s collaborative sites in Kayunga, Entebbe and any other if necessary. The incumbent will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors. The incumbent is also expected to sit for extended periods of time.
Supervisory Controls: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor or his/her designee as mutually agreed upon with the LaboratoryDeputy Director. Interested candidates should download and fill application forms from www.muwrp.org, and submit them with their Application letter, Photocopies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae with 3
The Human Resource Administrator
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42, Nakasero Road.
P. O. Box 16524, Kampala.
Not later than Wednesday, 5th March, 2014.
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED