Job Title: Senior Logistics Assistant
WFP does not charge any fees from applicants at any stage in the recruitment process
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Senior Logistics Assistant will be primarily responsible for the management of the warehouse operations and will be required to undertake the following;
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate loading and offloading operations ensuring optimum utilization of storage space and safety of personnel and commodity and recommend actions for improvement;
- Ensure that ail equipment and assets required for smooth and safe operation of the warehouse (computers, weighing scales, sampling spears, moisture meters, stitching machines, fire extinguishers, among others.) is in functional condition and report any faults;
- Support in the accounting, reporting on food and non-food items and ensure that internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained;
- Work closely with contracted transporters at loading locations to execute daily dispatches from Central Delivery Point (CDP) to Extended Delivery Point) EDPs and across borders;
- Ensure proper utilization of WFP documents for all warehouse transactions as per WFP rules and regulations (waybills, Landside Transport Instruction (LTI), stock reports, loss reports among others.);
- Compile and reconcile daily and monthly stock reports with the commodity-tracking unit using the Commodity Movement Processing and Analysis System (COMPAS);
- Carry out joint inspection of quality and quantity of food commodities with designated superintendent agents at time of receipt or as necessary and report findings to the Logistics Officer or his designate;
- Ensure Storekeepers in-charge are prompt in effecting segregation of damaged food consignments/stocks and these are stacked separately for immediate reconditioning/reconstitution works;
- Conduct regular inspection of commodities under storage with particular attention to expiry/ Best-Before Date (BBD) of commodities;
- Perform regular stock inventory as required and submit reports on quantity and condition of commodities;
- Ensure that food and non-food items (NFI) are controlled and accounted for according to WFP warehouse procedures;
- Institute loss mitigation measures, loss analysis and reporting, and provide oversight on the performance of contracted superintendent agencies;
- Follow up spoilt food disposal authorizations and collate data on commodities disposed of under CD’s authority;
- Actively participate in training staff at EDPs on storage procedures and practices as necessary;
- Monitor and supervise the activities of storekeepers, clearing staff, security, tally clerks and casual labourers during warehouse operations;
- Intuitively monitor the quality of food commodities at warehouse and follow up movement of such commodities along the pipeline using the WFP commodity tracking system (COMPAS).
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should hold a University degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Statistics, Logistics or any other related field attained from a recognized institution;
- A minimum of five (5) years of postgraduate professional experience in one
- or more of the transportation and ancillary sectors: port operations, shipping, clearing and forwarding, air operations, large scale road/ rail transport and distribution management gained from a reputable organization;
- Proficiency in both oral and written English is essential;
- Good working knowledge and experience using MS Office applications is necessary;
- All candidates should preferably possess the ability to compile, maintain and analyse data, prepare reports and draw initial conclusions and recommendations, work in a team, maintain effective work relationships with counter parts; flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description, ability to deal patiently and tactfully with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds
How to apply for the job:
All suitably qualified Ugandan nationals who meet the aforementioned job requirements are encouraged to submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates under confidential cover quoting on the envelop the vacancy announcement number and name of the applicant to:
The Human Resources Officer, UN World Food Programme P. 0. Box 7159, Kampala. Uganda.
Hand delivered applications should be dropped in a box at the reception of WFP Offices at plot 17-19, Clement Hill Road.
NB: All applicants should check on the Notice Board at the main entrance to confirm that their applications have been received one week after the closing date. Applications must be received by the deadline and only short listed candidates shall be contacted. Piease note that incomplete submission will be disregarded.
Deadline: Thursday 19th June 2014