Job Title: Budget Officer
Organisation: United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
Vacancy Number: VN/PBR/2014/12
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Planning Specialist
UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, is the driving force that helps build a world where the rights of every child are realized. Uganda is one of the over 190 countries and territories around the world where we work to overcome the obstacles that poverty, violence, disease, and discrimination place in a child’s path.
Summary: The UNICEF Budget Officer will be responsible for the monitoring and management of a large country office’s budget of five years for over US$ 125 million.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Allocate new and existing programme funds in VISION to programmes as per the planning instructions; reallocate funding to other budget years.
- Intuitively and keenly monitor budget execution including DCTs and unposted vouchers and external expenditures.
- Monitor PBA execution expiration dates, salary CRQs and % of budget execution, requisition obligated and expenditure and report on status regularly.
- Compile and prepare management indicators reports, DCT reports and the operations quarterly reports.
- Actively participate in yearend closure of accounts by monitoring requisitions and raise the OBOs.
- Open budget in new year and establish planning outline.
- Register new partner in VISION.
- As the system application administrator, he/she will also monitor and maintain the ToA and DAT updated. Interact with programme staff to develop and provide guidance on sectoral financial monitoring and control systems (e.g. Table 1), and periodically check their consistency with VISION generated reports; for consistency in allocations and expenditure status
- Serve as the primary focal point for the handling of all queries from headquarters, regional/country offices and Uganda based staff, regarding programme budget, funding commitments and donor contributions
- Provide cost estimate to sections on IP staff cost and raise salary cost distributions
- Provides information on allotment accounts and availability of funds; advises and updates allotment lists
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal United Nations UNICEF jobholder should possess a good University degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field.
- At least two years professional work experience in budget management and monitoring its execution.
- Past exposure and experience in managing system operations of the organization and producing budget status report.
- Fluency in English is required and strong written and verbal communications skill therein strongly desirable.
Core Values (Required): Commitment; Diversity and Inclusion; Integrity
Core Competencies (Required): Communication; Working with People; Drive for Results Functional Competencies (Required): Formulating Strategies and Concepts; Analyzing Applying Technical Expertise; Learning and Researching; Planning and Organizing
How to Apply:
ONLY Ugandan Nationals will be considered.
UNICEF is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The applications will be considered only if accompanied by an updated CV and P11 form, as well as the most recent performance evaluation report.
- If applications are sent by email, please clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name your file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_MukasaP11 or Gold_MukasaCV or Gold_ MukasaApplication.
- UNICEF is a smoke free environment.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
All candidates who desire to work in the prestigious United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in the above position should send their resume to:
Human Resource Specialist,
UNICEF Kampala, Uganda,
Plot 9, George Street,
P.O. Box 7047, Kampala-Uganda.
Via email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 12th September, 2014