Job Title: Finance Assistant
University Research Co., LLC (URC), a US-based public health organization working in Uganda since 2005, is implementing the USAID-funded Strengthening Uganda’s Systems for Treating AIDS Nationally (SUSTAIN) project. The project supports delivery of quality HIV prevention, treatment, care and laboratory services at selected regional referral and general hospitals. URC is seeking qualified candidates to fill a position of Finance Assistant based in Kampala.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant will support the development of timely financial reports, ensure compliance with USAID and URC regulations, and verify expenditure vouchers and receipts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer support in the development of financial reports, including:
- Field financial reports-including copies of all bank statements, bank reconciliations, cash journals, Transfer sheets, Personal Advance Balance Reports, Grand Summary Sheets, supporting payment vouchers, petty cash journal and summarized expenditure reports
- Expenditure reports
- Travel expense statements for staff and consultants
- Verify original vouchers and receipts and obtain the appropriate certifications
- Manage petty cash accounts, including ensuring the maintenance of an appropriate level of petty cash in safe deposit
- Prepare project staff per diems and other travel advances
- Work in close collaboration with the finance team to ensure that all costs in the project adhere to USAID/URC regulations, and are allowable, reasonable and allocatable.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Finance Assistant for the USAID SUSTAIN project should hold a good university degree in accounting or comparable certifications/qualifications
- A minimum of five years’ experience in accounting and general financial management of USAID programs preferred Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Two or more years’ experience with QuickBooks preferred Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Computer literacy skills i.e Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their cover letter, updated curriculum vitae, copies of academic credentials and contact information for 3 professional references in the subject line addressed to:
Human Resource & Administration Coordinator,
University Research Co., LLC – Centre for Human Services,
Plot 7 Ntinda View Crescent, Naguru P.O Box 28745 Kampala, Uganda
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (Not more than 3MB)
NB: Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 14th February 2014 by 12:00 pm