Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Vice Chancellor – Development and External Relations (DER)
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Job Summary: The Financial Aid Officer will support all UCU students who are under official scholarships or sponsorships that are coordinated by the Office of Financial Aid. This position will assist the Financial Aid Office in communicating with students, donors, and University offices (especially Accounts, Academics, and Faculties) and maintain records. The incumbent will be responsible for administration of student sponsorships through maintaining data, meeting with students, and facilitating communication.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Serve as the first point of contact for sponsor organizations
· Recommend students for registration and fees clearance during the semester based on donor interactions
· Tactfully assist students who have no recourse
· Maintain accurate records of donor commitments, payments, and student records
· Receive and process inquiries from students, and organizations with interest in obtaining or providing sponsorship
· Implement University-based scholarships including Work Study, Theology, Staff Spouse and Child, and Sports scholarships.
· Work closely with major donor organizations involved in sponsorships including providing reports, accountability, and generally improving relationships.
· Create and maintain publications about scholarship programmes at UCU including brochures and website
· The incumbent will serve at the secretary for the University ScholarshipsCommittee.
· Coordinate with relevant offices such as Bursar, Academics, and Student Affairs, Honours College for students’ benefit.
· Report to Regional Campuses on donations received and assure they are credited to regional campus accounts at UCU.
· Quickly respond to inquiries from sponsors about the status of their sponsored students.
· Write MOUs between UCU and donor organisations to ease operations
· Counsel and advice students on financial aid
· Follow up with donors on their payments
· Seek new scholarship opportunities in partnership with offices responsible for University development
· Do all such other duties incidental to the advancement of Financial Aid in UCU
· Supervise staff in the department
· Perform any other official responsibility or duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The Financial Aid Officer must hold a Master’s degree preferably in Business or a Management discipline. Also, the applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business or a Management discipline
· At least three years of post masters experience at a supervisory level.
· Detailed working knowledge and understanding of Funding Principles, with proven analytical, interpretative abilities and report writing skills.
· Knowledge and Experience of the ITS System and Financial Aid processes.
· Past exposure and experience in working under pressure with strict adherence to deadlines.
· Detailed knowledge and understanding of funding categories and types.
· Working knowledge of financial aid policies, rules and regulations.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
· Have budgetary skills and analysis capabilities.
· Have computer literacy skills (Ms Office Packages)
· Be client service oriented and have sound conflict management and time management skills.
· Possess good computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel
· Has got to have good Interpersonal skills and able to maintain confidentiality.
· Required to work overtime during peak times or as and when required.
· The applicant must be a committed and practicing Christian.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letterclearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references.( Academic, Leadership and Pastoral). Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts and send to:
The Manager Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono. Uganda
Deadline: 20th November, 2015