Job Title: Senior Lecturer – Development Studies
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997.
The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history.
The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital.
By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education – not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University – the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in designing and/or revising curricula and conduct lectures for undergraduate and graduate levels in areas of community development theory and practice, research methodology, development management and organizational studies, and other development related course.
- Work closely with other senior academic staff members, link up with other institutions in collaborative research and seek research funding for research projects in community development related areas.
- Supervise or assist with supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Actively participate in organising field practice sites for placement of both undergraduate and graduate students, and actively engage in community outreach programs.
- Participate in the leadership for the development studies department, including providing pastoral care and support to students.
- Contribute to faculty and university –wide committees as requested, and actively follow and promote UCU mission, Values and policies.
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Senior Lecturer must hold a PhD in Development Studies or related field from a recognized Institute of Higher Education
- Possession of a Degree in Development Studies or any other related Social Science field from a recognised institution of Higher Education is also a requirement
- At least three (3) years University teaching experience.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in teaching of theories and practice of development is required.
- Excellent track record of ability to conduct high quality research which is reflected in the authorship of high quality publications, or other research outputs in the area of Development Studies
- Demonstration of initiative and involvement in development of academic programmes
- Supervised or co-supervised at least 5 dissertations at postgraduate level
- Membership of a professional body
- Should be a committed Mature Christian who subscribes to the instrument of identity of Uganda Christian University.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three references.
Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts
The Director of Human Resource & Administration
Uganda Christian University
Po Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: Thursday, 17th April 2014 by 5:00p.m.