Job Title: Protection Technician
Uganda Electricity Transmission Company limited (UETCL) is responsible for bulk purchase of electricity from the generating companies and selling it in bulk to the distribution companies throughout Uganda. UETCL is also responsible for exports and imports of electricity to Uganda. Our vision is: “To Become a leading strategic business partner in the transmission and Single Buyer Business and to support sustainable energy development in Uganda.”
Job Summary: The Protection Technician will be responsible for the maintenance of the protection system on a day-to-day basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintenance of Protection Schemes:
- Conduct routine maintenance on the protection schemes according to time table and submit report to supervisor.
- Attend emergency faults on the protection schemes and submit report to supervisor within a day of completion of work.
2. Maintenance of Energy Metering Schemes:
- Audit all the metering schemes monthly and submit report to supervisor within one week.
- Attend to any emergencies occurring on the metering schemes and submit report to supervisor within a day of completion of work.
3. Commissioning of Protection and Metering Schemes:
- Implement the installation of wiring of the protection and metering schemes according^ approved schematic drawings.
- Conduct commissioning tests on the schemes and on the high voltage equipment according to instructions.
- Prepare and submit commissioning reports to the supervisor within a week after commissioning.
- Keep stock of tools and related accessories
- Develop and keep a record of tools and other electrical accessories if any.
- Updates such a record, especially for tools every six months and submits a report to the
4. Preparation of the section budget for the year:
- Compile a list of requirements; tools/electrical accessories for the year and submit list to supervisor by end of May each year.
- Update record of specifications for commonly used items and submit report to supervisor by June, each year.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Senior Protection Engineer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The UETCL Protection Technician should hold a Higher Technical Diploma (HTD) or its equivalent in Electrical Engineering
- Significant experience in Electrical Installations and Protection Schemes on the high voltage equipment.
- Past supervisory experience and excellent interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy skills
- Possess a valid driving permit.
- Ability to withstand stressful work situations and have willingness to work long hours outside the normal hours.
- Possess a high degree of integrity, highly motivated, pro-active and committed team player
Age: Below 45 years
How to Applyfor the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications enclosing photocopies of academic qualification certificates and testimonials along with their curriculum vitae indicating contact postal address, daytime contact telephone, fax or e-mail and giving three (3) referees to: The Manager, Human Resource and Administration, Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited, P. O. Box 7625, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: Monday, 24th February, 2014