Job Title: WASH Programme Manager
Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems in the developing countries. Water For People is currently operating in 10 countries. In Uganda, Water For People works in 10 districts where it supports water supply, sanitation and hygiene education programs since 2008.
Job Summary: The Programme Manager will be responsible for managing all technical aspects of the Program, including participation to the Country’s strategic plans.The incumbent will provide the necessary support to program staff to ensure that program objectives are achieved in due time.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Participation in Strategic and operational Planning:
- Work with Country Program staff to develop country strategic plans in line with Water For People’s overall strategy and policy objectives
- Actively contribute to Water For People’s overall program and policy discussions
- Develop rural household and school sanitation strategic plan
- Initiate annual operating plans in line with pre-allocated budget
- Entertain relationships with sector role players at the national and local level.
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, the local private sector and NGOs supporting WASH.
- Work with the team to identify partners/consultants who can contribute to capacity building of staff and partners to ensure sustainability of supported WASH services
3. Supervisory Duties:
- Oversee the management of Water For People’s program officers under his/her supervision including orientation and mentoring
- Develop the capacity of Water For People staff and partners to document their experience for learning and advocacy purposes
- Working alongside local Business Development Service Providers (BDS) in developing sanitation businesses in Everyone Forever District.
4. Advocacy and Learning:
- Work closely with the partners to develop program work that contributes to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas
- Promote a learning environment among Water For People’s partners and staff
- Contribute to organizational learning by preparing and disseminating data, lessons learned, good practices and statistics to Water For People staff.
5. Fundraising: Identify in country funding opportunities and support proposal development with the Country Director and Regional Manager to develop proposals.
6. Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Work with the monitoring officer to develop a system for monitoring implementation of projects.
- Track delivery against Water For People’s goals and objectives.
- Work with the monitoring officer to analyze data collected under the monitoring framework for assessment of progress and areas for improvement
- Update and maintain the program reporting calendar
- Prepare concise bi-annual reports and produce a synthetic and analytical progress report to guide management decision-making
- Maintain grant reporting schedules
- Monitor donor pledge payments and ensure that funds are received in
- Manage internal and external communications
- Manage in-country donor relationships and communication with in-country donors
- Manage communication with funder relationship managers in Denver, regarding reporting deadlines and project extensions
- Follow up with Water For People staff to ensure internal deadlines are met.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a Master’s degree in Environmental Health Sciences, Hydraulics, Civil Engineering, Development, Water Resources or any related fields. Masters in Business Administration will be an added advantage
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a similar position
- A minimum of five to ten years’ experience in project and personnel management.
- Possess a good understanding of community level water and sanitation development, with at least five (7-10) years’ experience
- The candidate must be a strategic thinker with well-developed planning skills
- Past exposure and experience in Tracking Budget Expenses and Grants Management
- Prior experience in Staff Supervision and Performance Management
- Past fundraising and proposal writing experience
- Previous experience in budget development and operations management.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills
- Good problem solving skills.
- Self-starter and ability to undertake any tasks without intensive supervision.
- Possess the ability to analyze and organize data and communicate results effectively
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team effort
- Well-developed written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
How to Apply for the job:
All qualified candidates should send their applications to the following address:
The Country Director, Water For People Uganda, Plot 9, Olumi close, Kitante, (near Rwanda High Commission), P.O Box 1420, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: Friday 29th August 2014