Job Title: Lead Environment Compliance
Organisation: SeaOwl Energy Services
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
SeaOwl manages the complete recruitment cycle from sourcing, recruitment, mobilization and personnel planning for energy customers. It is specialized in highly-skilled profiles and the underlying activity of designees / staff mainly covers drilling and off-shore oil rig management. It also provides scalable, integrated operations & maintenance resources and services covering the lifecycle of energy assets, as well as tele-operated surveillance and maintenance services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development and delivery of the detailed Environment operations annual work programs in accordance with the overall department objectives
- Development of coaching program for ECOs to ensure consistent support and transfer of knowledge
- Supervise the activities of the Environment Compliance site team consisting of ECOs
- Oversight and overall responsibility for onsite project environment deliverables including site supervision, enabling infrastructure, main facilities, shared services and third-party activities to ensure compliance with all relevant Statutory and Company HSE standards
- Responsible for Environmental technical support and environmental compliance awareness campaigns for field teams including Company and Contractor staff.
- As directed by the Environment Operations Coordinator, ensure effective ESMPs implementation in liaison with Biodiversity, Logistics, Social Project field teams on activities such as such as spill response planning, site inspection activities, monitoring activities etc as required
- Support implementation of impacts mitigation hierarchy. Ensure systematic implementation of ESMPs and prompt identification of deviations, with appropriate mechanism to implement corrective actions as required
- Assist with the preparation and presentation of materials on environmental management for stakeholder consultation meetings
- Development of training packages on various environmental issues for project implementation teams
- Collate site monitoring data required for all reporting requirements (including reports to regulators, reports to Group, reports to sites) in line with agreed project environmental aspects.
- Liaise with CTR field environment management teams to ensure smooth project operations and closure of any identified non-conformances
- In liaison with project field leadership, ensure that prompt reporting is done in line with environmental performance and that environmental score formulate part of the routine KPI review process in field operations
- Ensure inspections are conducted as a pro-active way to avoid incidents and non- compliances and follow-up on environmental incidents
- Assist in the preparation of responses to enquiries and claims regarding company environmental compliance performance
- Network with the other senior specialists both inside and outside the region in sharing best practice and lessons learned
- Support development and implementation of department work program and budgets with respect to environment engineering, operations related project activities.
- Coordinate development of the Company’s Environmental elements of the HSSE MS to ensure compliance as per ISO 14001 standard and develop/implement the roadmap towards certification through a sound gap analysis and closure process
- Identify training and development needs as well as roll out a program to address such needs for the Environment compliance team and site organization. The focus shall be on developing competencies through dedicated coaching of individuals
- Provide advice and specialist knowledge to project teams (including engineering, drilling, construction and operations teams) on ESIA requirements and application of Good International Industry Practice on all aspects of project development (application of Best Available Technique, IFC performance standards and associated guidelines, Total Referential including requirements of CR, GS and GMs)
- Coordinate audits planning to ensure they are performed as per regulatory requirements, to the appropriate standard and in consideration of risks associated with activities (internal and external).
- Development of CFT exhibits and provide support to project teams to ensure compliance with ESIA, GIIP and IFC guidelines as well as guide and ensure appropriate management of project contractors in line with HSSE contract requirements
- Provide input and strategic guidance to TEPU, JVP and government organizations on implementation of phased plans to ensure compliance with key pieces of environmental legislation such as Climate Change Bill and Oil Spill Preparedness and Response, Waste Management, EIA regulations etc.
- Work with partners, national authorities and local authorities and relevant organizations in managing environmental compliance across all company sites.
- Ensure appropriate and consistent monitoring and reporting processes are implemented. These processes shall be auditable
- Coordinate development of appropriate tools for auditing, inspection, monitoring and reporting
- Be a focal person for Oil Spill Contingency Planning and custodian of Oil Spill Response Equipment
- Engage with regulatory agencies to ensure smooth and timely progress of the monitoring and auditing process
- Ensure timely tracking on permit status and needs for further support with the Environment operations team in Kampala acquisition and update of the environmental permits associated with operations.
- Prepare and present summary materials concerning environmental compliance for stakeholder consultation meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of responses to enquiries and claims regarding company environmental protection and performance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Master of Science in Environmental Management, Natural Resources Management, or related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Management or related field.
- At least four to five years of experience in managing environmental compliance, Environment and Social Impact Assessment and Environment compliance practice preferably oil and gas or other similar industry.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Ugandan Environmental Legislation and IFC Performance Standards
- Good understanding of ISO14001 EMS, preferably with experience of system set- ups, auditing and implementation.
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to develop and maintain good relations with a wide range of Stakeholders including local communities, industry, NGOs and other international organisations.
- Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Teamwork, negotiation, conflict management skills.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Word, Office, Excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Good report writing and analytical skills
How to Apply:
All Interested applicants who meet the criteria as outlined above are encouraged to send a detailed CV ONLY by email to: email@example.com
Subject of your email should be the position you are applying for
Do not hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions or need any clarifications
Deadline: Tuesday 15th November 2022 at 5:00pm