Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Organization: Restless Development
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 85,180,673 gross annual and 6% housing allowance
Restrictions: One year contract with possibility of renewal
Reports to: Head of Programmes and Partnerships
Preferred Start date: 4th January 2021.
About Restless Development:
We know young people have the power to solve the challenges we face in our world, but they are being ignored and overlooked. We are the agency that works with young people so they can lead in solving those challenges. Whether that means supporting communities to end child marriage or prevent HIV, we work with young people to change their lives and the lives of people in their communities.
We have operated in Uganda since 1997. Our work is guided by four goals set out by young people; (1) Voice: we recognize that young people have a voice and that participation is only meaningful when linked to power. (2) Living: We support young people to achieve a decent living and hold governments accountable for investing in youth-driven sustainable economies. (3) Sexual, Reproductive and Health Rights: We support young people to make positive choices about their health. and (4) Leadership: We empower young people and communities to prevent and lead the response to emerging crises, we make sure that this is part of a wider approach to invest in young people to build long-term resilience and sustainability through community mobilization.
Job Summary: Restless Development Uganda is seeking to recruit a talented individual to lead the organization’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning agenda. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager will oversee a team of four staff (One (1) Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator and 3 Assistant Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinators) and, through the team, providing technical and capacity-building support in M&E to all programme units and the Leadership team. They will oversee all internal and external evaluations, and ensure that the evidence and learning generated is used for designing and adapting our programmes to bring transformative change in Uganda, and sharing our impact and learnings on our Restless Development Model with partners and the sector to ensure scale and sustainability
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Delivering and disseminating Evaluation and Learning products to internal and external audiences (40%)
· Package and disseminate learning and evidence from Restless Development Uganda’s programmes to drive improved practice in youth development across the youth sector in Uganda
· Ensure MEL plans for all the programmes are in line with the Programme Quality Framework and MEL framework as well as Donor requirements
· Ensure the MEL team, working with the Programmes teams, delivers the MEL plans
· Ensure evaluations and learning papers are high quality and can be used by multiple sources – Restless, donors and partners
· Ensure in-depth evaluations are accompanied by impact briefs to share the key highlights.
· Act as the focal point for coordination of all external evaluations, including managing consultants as appropriate
· Lead the monthly internal Programme Quality Group with a focus on ensuring learning is used to improve programme quality
· Support the Fundraising and Partnerships Manager to report to existing donors and to develop new proposals, including design of monitoring and evaluation frameworks
· Represent Restless Development Uganda to donors, partners and other stakeholders as required Oversight of monitoring and reporting systems (20%)
· Oversee development, support and maintenance of relevant programme databases
· Support programme teams through coordination of data collection and analysis processes.
· With support from the Leadership Team, lead bi-annual reviews of Restless Development Uganda’s programmes and performance against the national strategy.
· Design and oversee all project monitoring and reporting systems and tools in line with internal and external grant management requirements
· Lead compilation of the internal National Programme Reports for submission to the International Head Office in the UK
· Perform data quality checks for all internal and external reports in line with reporting guidelines and donor requirements.
Manage the MEL team (20%)
· Develop clear unit plans
· Work with the MEL team to develop clear roles, responsibilities and work plans for unit members
· Line and performance manage the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, serving as a role model at all times
· Ensure organizational policy is adhered to by MEL Unit
· Design and lead regular capacity-building initiatives across the organization, ensuring that programme staff are able to use M&E systems to assess progress, identify challenges/opportunities and take action
· Provide M&E guidance and expertise to the senior management team as required
· Design and oversee data collection, analysis and report writing processes for internal
· Reviews evaluations of programme and organizational performance
· Mentor MEL team to deliver their areas of work to a high standard
· In collaboration with Head of Programmes and Partnerships, ensure learning across the Programmes are shared with the Leadership team to support decision making
· Be an effective member of the Leadership team working with other Managers, Head of Restless Development Uganda, Head of Programmes and Partnerships and Hub Director, including preparing unit papers for the Leadership team meetings
· Other duties as required, sometimes requiring working on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
Qualifications: You have the following skills and experience
Graduate degree in a relevant field of study
· At least three years of experience in the development sector
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience in-design of monitoring systems & tools.
· Experience in training and providing capacity-building support on M&E.
· Excellent data analysis skills, both quantitative and qualitative
· Excellent report writing skills with experience preparing reports for donors and others
· Fluent in written and spoken English
· Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills
· Excellent financial management skills, including experience of managing and reporting on budgets
· IT skills, including experience with packages such as EpiInfo and SPSS
· Outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
· Experience of participatory research with young people
· Previous work experience in Uganda
Personal Qualities: We are looking for people with the right competencies and skills for the role, and who demonstrate the personal qualities consistent with our Values.
· A self-starter, who is highly self-motivated;
· Results-oriented, critically thinking through solutions to challenges that arise;
· An excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing;
· An inspiring leader, able to effectively lead people and processes; and
· A flexible, adaptive individual who thrives in a diverse and inclusive working environment.
Core Competencies: You are able to demonstrate to core competencies that we expect from our Managers:
· Strategic Thinking and Innovation: Delivers the vision for the team: thinking strategically about how to achieve it, coming up with new ideas for how to do so, and encouraging others to do the same
· Leadership and People Management: Provides supportive leadership to teams, encouraging a culture of learning and empowering others through coaching, while holding self and others accountable
· Communication: Practice open, transparent, and proactive communication, adapting messages to different audiences
· Delivery: Deliver effectively and with high quality towards goals and priorities, supporting teams to deliver and taking ownership of outcomes
NB: Restless Development is an Equal Opportunities employer and encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply.
What We Do For You
· Remuneration: We are proud to commit to a transparent global salary scale, ensuring a fair and comparable system of pay across all global locations.
· Values and Culture: At Restless Development, we’re proud that the strength and integrity of our Values has been recognized by staff, beneficiaries, donors and others who we work with. Beyond this, we have a culture of recognizing and celebrating both our Values and our global achievements with monthly Values Champions and an annual Values Day.
· Work-life Balance: It goes without saying that we work hard, at Restless Development. We also recognize the importance of helping staff to maintain a positive work-life balance by offering. We offer 24 days annual leave (in addition to public holidays and with an extra day of annual leave given for each full year of service, up to a maximum of 28 days). We also offer birthday leave, flexible working hours, and generous study leave, maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
· Professional Development: Restless Development is proud to be an employer who recognizes potential and invests in the development of its staff. We are committed to the professional development of our staff through: regular performance management; training and development opportunities; and Quarterly Staff Workshops for all staff – a space where we update each other, receive training, and socialize.
How to Apply:
Please send a completed application form, Download Here to [email protected] Please note that we do not accept CVs, resumes or cover letters. Applications shall be reviewed and considered when and as they come in.
NB: Please note that Restless Development does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees).
Deadline: 4th November 2020 by Midnight