Job Title: School Bursar
Makerere University Business School (MUBS) is a Public tertiary Institute affiliated to Makerere University with the mandate to provide business and management education in the country.
Job Summary: The University School Bursar shall:
- Offer oversight to the Office of the School Bursar;
- Be responsible for the financial administration and planning of the School; and
- Maintain the accounts of the School in a form prescribed by the School Council.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing strategic financial plans and budgets in line with the School’s Strategic Plan outlining projected revenue sources and expenditures and measures to be taken to control costs.
- Manage and ensure that the School’s financial records are maintained according to the law, policies and procedures laid down by Council and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, and that they are in line with international accounting standards;
- Responsible for maintaining effective financial management systems and procedures in accordance with Government Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Actively coordinate with the external auditors and enable them conduct audit in line with government regulations.
- Prepare and maintain financial statements.
- Guide Management and Council on financial matters of the School.
- Maintain a sound financial accounting system and expenditure control procedures to ensure compliance with internal control measures.
- Maintain an effective system for coordinating Financial and Accounting matters among Units and Sections of the School.
- Ensure proper maintenance,1 storage and security of the School’s financial and accounting documents.
- Plan for, develop, manage and appraise staff in the School Bursar’s Office.
- Carry out any other duties that may be assigned by the Principal from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Strategic Financial Plans and Budgets for the School.
- Updated revenue collection and expenditure controls.
- Digitised and updated Financial Information Management System.
- Monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The University Bursar should hold an Honours Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting/ Finance).
- Possession of a Master’s Degree preferably in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting/ Finance).
- Full professional qualification in Accounting such as ACCA or CPA Certificate.
- A minimum of ten or more years work experience m an organization comparable to in size to MUBS, five (5) of which must have been at senior managerial level.
- Must be an active member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU).
- The applicant must be a citizen of Uganda aged between 35 and 50 years.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Possess excellent track record of managing large budgets comparable to that of MUBS.
- Computer literacy i.e. Proficiency in the use of computerized financial management systems, including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Good working knowledge of government policies and procedures on financial accounting.
- High level of integrity.
- Good financial track record.
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified persons are invited to submit three (3) copies of their application together with the following:
- A detailed and current Curriculum Vitae.
- Names and addresses of three referees (1 Academic and 2 Professional) who should be advised to send reference letters direct to the Principal, MUBS under confidential cover, plus their postal, telephone and email addresses. Applicants are requested to ensure that at least two (2) of the three referees have forwarded reference letters concerning the application at the time of submission.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates. Original documents should not be sent at this stage.
- Copies of the candidate’s birth certificate and relevant Passport pages.
All applicants already in service should route their applications through their Heads of Department.
The applications should be sealed and marked “CONFIDENTIAL” and bearing the title of the post in the right hand corner of the envelope must be forwarded to reach the Secretary, MUBS Appointments Board, at the address indicated below;
The Secretary, Appointments Board Makerere University Business School Plot M118, Old Portbell Road P.O. Box 1337 Kampala – Uganda
Electronic applications can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, 21st November, 2014.