Job Title: MHPSS Technical Specialist
Organisation: Humanity & Inclusion (Handicap International Federation)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Responsible to: Technical Unit Manager
Handicap International Federation (operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion) is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
The Country MHPSS Technical Specialist will be directly involved in supporting multiple projects with the MHPSS component in the mission. Technical Specialist will be engaged in supporting projects throughout all phases: needs analysis, development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning phases
Currently the running projects with MHPSS components are:
- AIMS Education project implemented in Rhino Camp, Omugo, Imvepi Bidibidi and Palorinya Settlements – Fields of work: Inclusion, Education, Functional Rehabilitation, MHPSS
- APEAL project implemented in Imvepi, Kyangwali and Kyaka II settlements– Fields of work: MHPSS, & Functional Rehabilitation,
- DIG project in the Districts of Gulu, Kiryandongo, Nwoya and Oyam – Field of work: Inclusive livelihood, Functional rehabilitation and MHPSS
- INCLUDE Project in Kyaka II, Kyangwali, Nakivale and Imvepi Settlements – Field of work MHPSS, inclusive education and functional rehabilitation
- BAHIA project in Imvepi and Rhino settlements, Field of work- MHPSS, health and cash-based intervention
- INCHARGE Project, in Kyaka II and Kyangwali settlement with intervention areas of MHPSS, Health, functional rehabilitation
The Technical Specialist may also support new HI projects including at development, inception, implementation, monitoring and evaluation phases
The MHPSS teams across project to be technically supported, coordinated and supervised at the moment are composed of:
- AIMS Education: 3 PSS workers
- APEAL III: 4 Psychologists, 10 PSS workers
- DIG: 2 PSS workers
- INCLUDE: 5 psychologists, 10 PSS workers
- BAHIA: 1 psychologist, 4 PSS Workers
- INCHARGE: 2 psychologists, 4 PSS workers
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Technical Unit Manager, the Country MHPSS Technical Specialist is responsible to implement
Humanity & Inclusion technical policies, methods and approaches at the level of the programme for all activities related to Mental Health and Psychosocial Support. The Technical Specialist is responsible for the technical and methodological quality of the projects within the programme, the development of the staff technical competencies, as well as for mobilising the resources locally to support the quality of the programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Contributes to the country strategies in line with the MHPSS global strategies under the Health and Prevention Global Technical Strategy (StraTech)
- Provides technical input to the Operations Strategy of the country Programme concerning MHPSS sector, aligning it to the global strategic direction.
Ensures technical support to projects in line with the global technical frameworks and standards on MHPSS
- Provides adequate technical guidance and support to Project Managers when relevant (adapt standards to
- PM’s tools, contribute to proposal writing and reporting) in line with strategies, standards and mandatory transversal approaches;
- Ensures adequate support to multi-sector responses within projects, in line with the other specialists
- Ensures a local sectorial watch, best practices to adopt.
- Contributes to recruitment and briefing when relevant for MHPSS staff.
Ensures technical learning from projects
- ensure technical learning from projects in MHPSS in coordination with MEAL Department and Project Managers;
- Contribute and participate in project review sessions for the different projects with MHPSS components
Ensures the control & monitoring of the technical quality and the relevance of HI’s activities in the Programmes in MHPSS:
- Ensure regular technical quality control of projects and programmes and issue warnings and recommendations
- Carry out regular support supervision of MHPSS staff on project s to effect quality
- Provide capacity building sessions for staff or partners according to identified needs
- Monitor the implementation of audit recommendations, if applicable, in MHPSS.
Contributes to the Technical Divisions professional channel animation:
- Contributes to the global animation of the professional channels in MHPSS coming from the Technical Divisions
- (community of practice…)
- Animate a local talent pool in his sectorial scope (carry out technical interviews of candidates and produce recommendations, identify needs regarding trainings)
Participate to the external representation of HI’s expertise at country and regional level:
- Under Technical Unit Manager delegation, represent HI on MHPSS, in the coordination group, technical working groups, and other relevant networks at local and national level
- Contributes to advocacy on specific themes in line with the global advocacy priorities
- Contributes to communication messages locally in line with the global communication priorities
- Share responsibilities in the MHPSS Technical Working Group according to HI responsibilities
Participate to the development of major opportunities or new projects in the country under MHPSS scope
- Contributes to the context analysis in MHPSS
- Contributes to the design and writing of new projects in the country or region
- Contributes to the conception of projects concerning MHPSS
- Identify & develop local partnerships and/or consortium with NGOs, Institutions, Companies on technical priorities or important topics in the country under the MHPSS scope
4 Respect HI identity, rules and policies; In coordination with the Human Resources Manager and Operations Manager:
- Know, understand, apply and respect HI code of conduct and ethics, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies (child protection policy, policy and mechanism for the prevention of and fight against bribery, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment policy) and make sure they are known, understood, applied and respected by the team
- Know, understand, apply and respect HI security rules and regulations and make sure they are known, understood, articulated and applied by her/his team
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant Master Degree in Psychology, psychiatry or psychosocial fields
- At least 5 years of professional experience at similar level of Responsibility.
- At least 5 years of experience in Psychological or Psychosocial interventions
- At least 3 years of experience working as Project implementer
- Proven experience in capacity building and staff development
- Experience as clinical psychologist
- Experience in both humanitarian and development contexts
- Precedent experience with HI
- Experience working with Governmental stakeholders.
- Experience working with Organisations of Persons with Disabilities
- Experience in community-based approaches
- Experience working in large consortia
- The different schools of thought and explanatory models of disability and the application of certain tools
- Producing written and oral institutional communication in English
- Strategies for fighting exclusion and discrimination
- Producing clear, concise and responsible communication suited to the interlocutor (adult or child)
- Good understanding of development cooperation and humanitarian assistance mechanisms Adapting communication and messages to an intercultural environment
- MHPSS technical issues and challenges as well as stakeholders and professionals in the sector
- Negotiating and managing problems and conflicts
- Strong knowledge of the MHPSS practices and professions
- Establishing clear frameworks, rules and limits
- Supporting and motivating a person or group
- Adapting leadership to the group to lead it towards a shared objective.
- Audacious (shows initiative/entrepreneurial)
- Good reaction capacity
- Working as part of a team/network, cooperating
- Respect for the opinion and enhancement of the skills of others with a view to shared action
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback; discussing with multi-disciplinary teams, working as part of a network and collaborating
- Showing interest in what each person is experiencing and feeling, putting oneself in the other person’s shoes, listening to his/her needs, being accepting rather than judgmental
- Resilience to stress and uncertainty
How to Apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter as One Document (DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES) to
HR department at [email protected] indicating the position and Project applied for
Any efforts to influence the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification
Humanity and Inclusion is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we encourage females and persons with disabilities to apply to become a part of our organization.
HI staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the Code of Conduct.
HI operates and enforces policies on beneficiary protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding,
Anti-fraud, bribery, and corruption.
HI does not solicit funds in exchange for employment opportunities.
Deadline: Friday 2nd August 2021 at 5:00pm