Job Summary: The Building Services Technician /Handy Man will carry out maintenance and replacement of faulty parts for all plumbing, electrical, carpentry, painting, across the unit and making sure works that need attention are identified and attended to in a timely manner for the smooth running of the Unit Operations. The job holder will be expected to travel regularly between the field stations to maintain the condition of all buildings.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain an inventory of building service installations of the unit and checks regular maintenance schedules
- Prepare and present inspection reports on any malfunctions on a regular basis.
- Ensure all building service and fittings are functional and in good order.
- Arrange/carry out repairs and maintenance of all building services installations.Supervises and also carries out minor welding and fabrication works.
- Conducts minor carpentry and joinery works to including roof leaks, furniture, etc.
- Ensures plumbing fittings across the unit are functional and also any repairs are attended to in a timely manner
- Helps in troubleshooting electrical related problems, testing circuits, changing bulbs Etc. and any other installations that need attention with the help of the Electrical Engineer.
- Ensures quality fitting and metal work installations including any repairs at the unit.
- Assist the IT Manager, Electrical Engineer and HVAC Technician with fitting out mauls, piping, and drawing / laying of conductors/cables.
- Carry out minor paint works on walls, wood and metal surfaces as and whenever required.
- Responsible for all consumables requisitioned for maintenance works.
- Attend to and supervise contractors who may be carrying out work during weekends or after working hours.
- Participate in the estates on call schedule to respond to emergencies in the cold chain and power, water supply.
- Fits door locks, light fittings and planes/hangs doors, replaces faulty locks
- Fits bat proofing in eaves of houses, general painting, and fixing notice boards etc.
- Perform any other job duties in the same dispensation
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a craftsmanship certificate from a recognised Technical institution.
- Vocational Training, apprenticeship or previous experience as a charge hand.
- At least 10 years’ experience in a busy manufacturing, institution, or hospital setting
- Basic knowledge of plumbing systems
Age: Above 35 years
Job Terms and Conditions: The position will be full-time remunerated according to the MRC Uganda Unit salary scales. The successful applicants will serve a 2 years’ contract with a possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds, inclusive of a 6 months’ probationary period. Other terms and conditions for position are specified in the MRC staff code. A good salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to the successful candidates
How to Apply for the job:
All applications and supporting documents including curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic qualifications and names plus telephone contact details of three referees should either be addressed to: The Human Resource Manager, MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS, Uganda Virus Research Institute, P. O. Box 49, Entebbe. Uganda
Or sent via email: [email protected]
Deadline: 13th December, 2013 by 5:00 pm