Job Title: Procurement Officer (Food Commodities)
Organization: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Procurement
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to United help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The Procurement Officer (Food Commodities) will primarily collect, analyse and report on information to maximise efficiency of procurement operations and activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead the food procurement team in WFP Uganda Country office, be an example of personal integrity and professionalism, strict compliance to Organization’s policies and procedures;
· Collect and analyze market intelligence information, be on top of the regional market trends, monitoring of the changes in harvest seasons, climatic patters affecting crops in Uganda
· Act as the focal point with national agro market stakeholders, actively participate in forums and contribute to development of policies on grain trade, country reserves.
· Support procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard processes and contributing to successful procurement of food.
· Contribute to analysis of data to provide recommendations for process improvement.
· Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports of procurement activities, to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
· Support auditing of procurement activities by collating the necessary information for recommendations to be responded to appropriately to ensure conformity with compliance rules.
· Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
· Support training of WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food, for example designing and reviewing training materials.
· Guide and supervise a limited number of more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with simple analysis and queries.
· Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
· Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
· Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Procurement Officer (Food Commodities) job placement must hold an advanced University degree in Food Science and Technology, Agriculture, Procurement, Economics, Commerce, Business Administration or other relevant filed, or First University degree with additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses
· At least six (6) years of progressively work experience in procurement, particularly in food procurement, with experience in coordinating procurement activities in large operations gained from reputable organizations;
· Experience managing the physical purchase of commodities/products/services in complex situations;
· Experience handling routine transactions/ purchase of commodities/goods/services;
· Experience developing timelines and cost reports for suppliers (e.g. retailers, wholesalers and traders);
· Demonstrated experience coordinating procurement processes with other units/ teams.
· Good working knowledge and experience in MS Office applications is a requirement;
· General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procurement procedures is desirable.
· Language: Fluency (level C). in English language
· Tendering & Contracting: Demonstrates ability to establish and manage small contracts/ portions of larger contracts that enhance the value WFP obtains from its engagements (e.g., cost, efficiency, quality).
· Vendor Management: Demonstrates working knowledge and understanding of the supplier network and business needs to effectively select vendors that meet the selection criteria.
· Commodity/Product/Service Intelligence: Selects appropriate products and/or services in own area based on a basic understanding of sources, country requirements, and public procurement principles/practices.
· Systems & Reporting: Demonstrates strong understanding of procurement systems, Corporate operating System and tools to conduct range of analyses and generate reports to drive decision making.
· Ethics & Compliance: Demonstrates ability to collect, collate and report records relating to ethics and compliance to assist in the analysis of audit findings.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) are encouraged to apply online at the link below
Deadline: 3rd February 2021