Job Title: Production Center Manager
Organisation: Days for Girls (DfG) East Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reporting to: Country Director
At Days for Girls we are turning periods into pathways. We increase access to menstrual care and education by developing global partnerships, cultivating social enterprises, mobilizing volunteers and innovating sustainable solutions that shatter stigma and limitations for women and girls. Together, we’re creating a world with dignity, health, and opportunity for all.
Our movement has reached more than 1.9 million girls – and counting. With your help, we can reach Every Girl. Everywhere. Period.
Days for Girls is an award-winning NGO that works to shatter stigma and limitations associated with menstruation for improved health, education and livelihood outcomes. To date, Days for Girls has reached more than 1.9 million women and girls in 144 countries on 6 continents with quality, sustainable menstrual care solutions and health education.
The organization utilizes a multipronged approach to achieve its mission. Days for Girls Uganda’s mission focuses on embedding solutions to challenges created by a lack of access to menstrual health management resources and reproductive health knowledge by partnering with local grassroots organizations and conducting comprehensive training and mentoring programs. This mission is powered by our three-tier model offering locally made, high-quality washable menstrual hygiene kits, reproductive health education training, and women-led enterprise development. Our current priorities include strengthening our manufacturing capacity, and cost efficiencies, supply chain, consistent evaluation, assessment, and refresher training of our manufacturing staff.
Job Summary: The Production Centre Manager will be responsible for managing the Production Department including maintaining quality control of the DfG Uganda production process, efficiency, and productivity in the DfG Uganda Production Department. The successful candidate will also be responsible for leading the unit as managing the day to day management of the office. This department is tasked with manufacturing DfG products, managing inventory of material, coordinating contractor scheduled pieces, packing of DfG Kits and components for orders and training programs, facilitating order pickup and purchases, and hosting training participants as needed by the Program Department.
The successful candidate will report to the Uganda Country Director and help to ensure that our production is guaranteed quality, in an effective and efficient manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assigning work duties to tailors, assistants, and contractors to ensure timely and quality completion of Days for Girls Kits
· Engage in sewing of DfG Kits components
· Oversee the entire production process from intake of raw materials to output of finished products. that is overseeing the transparent signing in and out of all materials from the storeroom to be used for production, packing, or demonstrations (NB: While the Logistics Coordinator is responsible for all material being provided from suppliers, and all components going out of the office for orders or programs, the Production Officer is responsible for the movement and tracking of all fabric and materials within the Production Department.
· Issuing out materials to all contractors, and assessing completed components to be awarded pay
· Ensuring the highest quality standards of all DfG Kits and components leaving the DfG Uganda Center
· Staying up to date with changes in the pattern or fabric requirements through close contact with DfGI Sewing Specialist, and Chapter Chat
· Managing the schedule of visitors and trainings within the Production Department to ensure smooth flow of work
· Creating and submitting monthly departmental reports
· Ensure quality maintenance and compliance record-keeping
· Provide clear and timely production planning including giving indications of raw material needs and developing daily work plans for production departments
· Ensure 100% quality of all products and proactively recognize all risks that could affect future quality.
· Analyse all production processes in both human and machine capacity to optimize efficiencies.
· Build yearly production budget and track expenses over the year in relation to the budget.
· Work with line supervisors to help build management capacity.
· Create detailed reports including but not limited to tracking movements of inventory, efficiency gains, etc
· Support in testing the products from Enterprises as well as those at factory premises to make sure they adhere to UNBS quality procedures.
· Complete inventory management including raw materials, work in progress, finished products and production assets.
· Support DfG Uganda in providing skills updates for the Build Your Own team if there are any changes to our pattern or component procedures.
· Take part in the management team’s development and formulation of long and short-term planning, policies, programs and objectives.
· Ensure that the process for Sales Associates orders to be processed, fulfilled, reported, and paid for is going well and supported.
· Ensure that Product Contractor flow is supported, and going well.
· Ensuring Enterprises follow the correct procedure to be performing at the highest quality standards
· Conducting Enterprise visits for Kit quality checks as well as working through the Gold certification process and offering written feedback to Enterprises about kit quality
· Managing the annual UNBS quality checks and all UNBS procedures. This includes ensuring that all UNBS books are up to date.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· Strong organizational, time management and quantitative analysis skills
· Ability to work independently within a small team
· Flexible and professional individual who is capable of taking initiative
· Expert project management and cross-cultural communication skills
· Proven expertise in program and grants management
· Competency in G-Suite applications (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.), Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Commit to working with DfG for a minimum of 2 years
· Experience working in a start-up environment
· Experience managing a team and reporting to senior leadership and international HQ
· Familiarity with project and/or relationship software like Salesforce or Trello preferred
· Demonstrated ability to teach/facilitate trainings with diverse populations
· Proactive leader
· Ability to travel domestically and internationally
· Willingness to work longer hours and weekends when necessary
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their updated CVs to [email protected]