Job Title: Program Officer, Gender in Humanitarian Action
Organization: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Programme Specialist
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women provides support to Member States’ efforts and priorities in meeting their gender equality goals and for building effective partnerships with Government, civil society and other relevant actors.
Job Summary: Reporting to Programme Management Specialist Adjumani, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the UN Women Adjumani Office by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, and evaluation. The Programme Analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ personnel, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in Gender in Humanitarian Action
· Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives.
· Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the Gender in Humanitarian Action programmes
· Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget.
· Lead the implementation of programme activities.
· Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners.
· Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports.
· Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
· Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products
· Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Gender in Humanitarian Action programme.
· Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
· Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools.
· Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs, and outcomes.
· Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the Gender in Humanitarian Action programme
· Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary.
· Provide substantive inputs to financial reports.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
· Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases.
· Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles.
· Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on Gender in Humanitarian Action to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
· Provide substantive technical support to the Program Management Specialist on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
· Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to Gender in Humanitarian Action
· Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops, and knowledge products.
· Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on Gender in Humanitarian Action
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal applicant for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) Program Officer, Gender in Humanitarian Action job placement must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required
· A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
· Two years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building.
· Experience in the promoting the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment in refugee response, disaster contexts and emergency situations
· Experience of working in West Nile or Northern Uganda, including in refugee hosting districts is an asset.
· Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
· Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset; Knowledge of Uganda and the Great Lakes region is an asset
· Respect for Diversity
· Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
· Creative Problem Solving
· Effective Communication
· Inclusive Collaboration
· Stakeholder Engagement
· Leading by Example
· Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
· Good knowledge of Results Based Management
· Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions, and present findings and recommendations
· Good analytical skills
· Good knowledge of IASC Guidelines on Gender in Humanitarian Action, Gender and Age Markers, UN SCR 1325, Sendai Framework on DRR, and CEDAW
· Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities, and threats to fundraising
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 12th March 2021