Job Title: Program & Volunteer Support National Fellow
Organisation: Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Duty Station: Kampala & Mpigi YCI Offices
Volunteer Placement Duration: Sep 26th, 2022– March 25, 2023 (6 Months)
Time Commitment: 37.5 hours/week
About Youth Challenge International (YCI):
YCI is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Job Summary: Contribute to the success of Youth Challenge International’s HerStart Innovate the Future program by flexing your communications, facilitation and volunteer coordination skills. Collaborate on the design and delivery of innovative trainings, evaluations and resources for the local HerStart social entrepreneurship programs and the global HerStart Fellowship programs. This is an opportunity to strengthen your CV with practical project coordination, research, facilitation and public engagement experience. In the process, learn about women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and social impact globally.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in and complete orientation training modules on critical topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
- Support the team in designing, editing and testing trainings, platforms and resources for the fellowship and social entrepreneurship programs
- Support with the outreach, recruitment and ongoing mentorship of participants
- Help to facilitate organizational learning and capacity strengthening engagements with Canadian fellows for local partners and staff
- Develop and promote communications materials and success stories, including internal newsletters, social media content and the HerStory Podcast series
- Assist the Knowledge and Learning Manager with adaptation and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools and analysis/reporting of data, including entrepreneurship training surveys
- In collaboration with staff and partners, support Canadian fellows through onboarding, in-country orientation, deliverable planning, translation needs and ongoing support towards successful integration into the country and a meaningful volunteer placement
- Assist partners and staff with the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the HerStart Catalyst Fund
- Provide additional support and mentorship to entrepreneurs in the HerStart training programs, as needed
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Previous knowledge and experience in volunteer or youth engagement
- Experience in mentorship, outreach and community building
- Experience in facilitating trainings, developing educational resources and designing communications materials
- Knowledge and skills in monitoring and evaluation and/or research
- Passion for learning, facilitation and supporting the knowledge and skill development of others from diverse backgrounds
- Strong communications and design skills with high attention to detail
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Canva, Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
- Strong organization, teamwork and time management skills in virtual settings
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Must be currently living in Kampala and/or Mpigi to be able to commute to the YCI office
- Ability to commit to full-time, 6-month placement
- Professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree or diploma, or have the equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of international cooperation, gender equality and/or social entrepreneurship
- Flexibility in schedule (able to attend trainings and meetings, sometimes coordinated across different time zones)
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Note: Individuals of all demographics, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply, particularly women.
Benefits of a Fellowship
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
- Amplify your personal and professional growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, MEL, volunteer coordination, training facilitation, and more.
- Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate staff, partner organizations and youth from around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
- Receive a Daily Stipend: A small stipend up to a maximum of Ush 440,000/= per month will be received by National Fellows to cover the costs of transportation and lunch for 22 monthly working days completed in office.
How to Apply:
Please submit a Cover Letter specifying which office you wish to be posted (Kampala or Mpigi) and outlining your interest and qualification for the role and CV as a single PDF document, maximum 4 pages.
Please note, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received so we encourage early submissions.
Deadline: Friday 30th September 2022 by 11:59 pm