Job Title: Programme Advisor – Effective Institutions
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
WaterAid is an international non-governmental organisation, focused on water, sanitation and hygiene. WaterAid’s vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. WaterAid transforms lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities.
Job Summary: The Programme Advisor – Effective Institutions will lead on sector analysis and implementation of the systems strengthening agenda. They will ensure the delivery of district and local level programming is aligned to deliver the systems strengthening agenda of the country programme and provide oversight and support towards the effective implementation of the systems strengthening at district and national level. KEY
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Analytical Leadership and communication:
- Ensure that the design of the Effective Programme is based on a robust understanding of the sector context and blockages that undermine access to sustainable WASH services amongst the excluded populations of Uganda
- Lead the design of projects within the programme guided by WASH systems and rights based approach that contribute to the programme goals as well as the strategic objectives of WAU
- Lead the development of a clear plan for delivering the WASH systems strengthening objectives of WAU and for developing, implementing and documenting institutional strengthening methodologies and approaches.
- Responsible for generating analytical briefs, communication materials and case stories of evidence and excellence generated from programming and policy analysis in line with the CP and global priorities with a clear plan for utilization to advance the CPs strategic priorities.
- Proactively engage in sector discussions, build and maintain relationships with key sector institutions, coalitions and other strategic partners
- Ensure WAU staff have clear knowledge and understanding of WAU’s systems strengthening intent and purpose in the strategy delivery
- Develop and implement trainings, workshops, participatory design processes and consultancies in institutional systems strengthening for both public and private entities. Technical support and oversight: Work effectively within a matrix organizational structure with staff in the other pillars (advocacy) to ensure that programme activities are in line with influencing objectives.
- Ensure that WASH service delivery follows the core value of equity and inclusion through mainstreaming equity and inclusion in the projects implemented with government
- Ensure that WASH Programme delivery at the field level is implemented to positively impact the building of better WASH systems and generate replicable results that can be profiled to contribute to universal access
- Spear head the systems strengthening agenda by supporting the delivery of content at the field level to generate evidence and excellence that can be utilized at regional and national level
- Represent WAU at different meetings and forums, nationally/internationally as assigned by line management
Networking and partnerships:
- Responsible for building partnerships with government institutions, donors, universities, private sector and research institutions so as to advance WAU’s strategic objectives.
- Support implementing partners in developing effective, efficient and inclusive project plans.
- Conduct regular programme and project reviews with partners and provide feedback for improved performance particularly in regard to overcoming exclusion and empowering marginalized communities Through working with the designated counterpart within the partner organizations, promote an open relationship between WAU and partners that promotes a sense of solidarity and facilitates surfacing of issues, capacity building and sharing of learning and accurate information such as WRI
- Oversee the development of programme related agreements and contract with partner organization and ensure compliance within WAU
- Work with finance department to ensure the timely disbursement of funds to the implementing partners as per contractual obligations
- Work with the regional deconcentrated structures to collectively optimize the performance of regional WASH systems to improve service delivery
- Collect case stories for fund raising team to mobilize resources locally or globally towards growing the systems strengthening interventions. Monitoring and Reporting:
- Monitor implementation of system strengthening programme and prepare key reports on the basis of organizational policies and procedures including monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
- Ensuring high quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and WAU requirements.
- Ensuring projects measure the impacts (indirect reach) for the respective Building blocks implemented per location.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Masters level qualification in Development Studies, Public administration, or other related discipline.
- A minimum of ten years of experience working in a developing country and/or experience in public sector institutional support and/or reform
- Developed facilitation and communication skills with the ability to motivate, support and mentor staff to produce results
- Effective writing & communication skills including presentation skills
- Experience working with Government institutions and/or in a project with multiple partners
- Previous experience in designing successful systems change interventions
- Demonstrable experience and competence in networking and effective relationship building with peers, donors and government.
- High level of diplomacy and tact
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
- Effective networking abilities
- Good public speaking ability in English
How to Apply:
All candidates should send a filled form, Download Here and send it with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org stating Programme Advisor Effective Institutions in the subject line.
Deadline: 21st July 2022