Job Title: Programme and Partnerships Specialist
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Job Summary: The Programme and Partnerships Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR), the direct supervision of the Deputy FAO Representative (DFAOR) and in close collaboration with programme teams.
The Programme and Partnerships Specialist will identify strategic partnerships for the FAO Representation in Uganda, foster internal dialogues, engage in external consultations and coordinate (or lead, as the case may be) the development of integrated and impactful programmes in line with FAO Uganda’s CPF 2021-25. The incumbent will ensure programming is (a) done in partnership with key external stakeholders drawn from across sectors in an integrated and cross-cutting manner, (b) aligned to FAO’s commitment to the SDGs, notably SDG 1 (End poverty), SDG 2 (End hunger) and SDG 10 (Reduce inequalities); (c) reflects the principles of leaving no one behind, gender equality and women’s empowerment, resilience, sustainability, accountability, a human rights based approach and conflict sensitivity; and (d) integrates climate change targets as a key strategy in support of the GoU’s Nationally Determined Contributions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Programme and Partnerships Specialist will:
- Engage in programme development and robust proposal writing in close collaboration with programme teams and technical specialists drawn from across FAO Uganda and the FAO Technical Officers Network across RTEA, SFE, RAF and HQ to access expertise related (but not limited) to sustainable agriculture, poverty reduction and resilience available for integrated country programming;
- In close collaboration with programme teams, identify and promote partnerships beyond the UN family including (but not limited to) the private sector (including financial institutions/service providers) for innovation and sustainability, civil society for a rights-based approach that emphasizes accountability, and academia/research institutions to promote innovation and uptake of innovative practices, technologies and inputs;
- Assist Senior Management in their engagement with resource partners through the development of communication materials (e.g. writing concept notes, project proposals, brochures etc.), organization and execution of donor consultations and field visits in close collaboration with Team Leads, representation of FAO Uganda in meetings and conferences, and delivery of presentations;
- In close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Team, organize periodic donor consultations to keep current and potential donors abreast of FAO’s work and progress against its CPF, the UNSDCF and the SDGs, and highlight areas of concern and/or opportunities to scale up impactful programming;
- Establish and maintain regular contact with the UN system in Uganda, actively explore opportunities for joint programming and partnership in line with the Cooperation Framework and FAO’s CPF and ensure FAO’s substantive participation in the updates to the Common Country Analysis, the Cooperation Framework, and Joint Work Planning; and
- Perform any other duty as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Programme and Partnerships Specialist job must hold a Master’s degree in rural development, agricultural sciences, natural resource management or related subject
- Minimum of five years professional experience in developing countries working in resource mobilization, sector coordination and programme development. Experience in Uganda would be an asset
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other FAO Official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, and Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Cross-sectoral experience and understanding of food security, livelihood and agribusiness activities across crop, livestock, fisheries and forestry production systems.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
- Excellent coordination, written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in project design and proposal development, including technical writing.
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Fundraising experience is desirable.
- Work experience with the UN and with FAO in particular is an asset.
- Excellent communications (both written and verbal), presentation and advocacy skills.
NB: Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) should apply online at the link below
Deadline: 21st September 2022