Vacancy title: Programme Officer-Women Movement Building
Type: FULL TIME
Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO
Category: Social Services & Nonprofit
Jobs at: UN Women
Deadline of this Job:b17 July 2020
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women’s leadership and political participation is one of UN Women’s primary work as mandated in its inception, recognizing the integral role of women in strong and stable democratic processes. To strengthen the leadership and participation of women in strong and stable democratic processes, UN Women works to promote gender equality in Parliaments, Electoral Bodies, Political Parties and other institutions and the women’s movement is key in mobilizing women to engage in these processes.
The programme specialist for Women’s Movement Building will report to the Programme Specialist for Women’s Leadership & Political Participation (WLPP). She/he will work closely with other UN Women thematic Programme specialists ensuring successful implementation of the UN Women Uganda Strategic Note 2016 -2020. On top of overall support to other thematic areas the specialist will have specific focus on implementation of the European Union-United Nations global, multi-year initiative on eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls and harmful practices and promotion of sexual and reproductive health and rights. The spotlight initiatives is implemented in partnership with the Government of Uganda, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Civil Society Organizations and is implemented in 7 districts of: Tororo, Kasese, Kitgum Amudat, Arua, Kyenjojo and Kampala The specialist will provide overall technical expertise aimed at strengthening the Women’s Movement to effectively influence and advance progress on gender equality as the women’s movement is a key in mobilizing women to promote gender equality across all sectors. S/he will also coordinate capacity building of women networks for joint reporting and participation in International, Regional and National governance and accountability processes. The specialist is expected to support analysis of political, social and economic trends and provide advisory services to implementing partners under the Women’s Movement The specialist will support the implementation of a strategy for working with the women’s movement and monitoring of activities and documentation of results. He/she will also monitor finances using the results-based management tools, participate in field missions and write reports on monitoring missions as well as assist in preparation of quarterly reports and donor reports .
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Design and develop programme strategies in the area of Women’s Movement building in Uganda
• Contribute to formulation of Annual Work Plans and budgets within the area of responsibility, translating Women’s Movement priorities into national and local interventions;
• Design and formulate programme strategies, proposals and initiatives related to women movement building across all components of UN Women’s mandate.
• Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to movement building
Manage the implementation and management of the women’s movement component
• Manage the technical implementation and monitoring of the women movement programme while ensuring synergies with other teams in the country office.
• Manage the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports and contribute to regular preparation of aggregate internal or external reports on activities, outputs and outcomes including preparation of donor reports.;
• Carry out financial and substantive monitoring of project activities, identify operational and financial problems and develop appropriate solutions for addressing them;
• Provide guidance to partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators in achievement of expected results;
• Identify areas of technical support and intervention related to policy and legal implementation in the context of the women’s movement in Uganda and take appropriate actions.
• Provide inputs on Women Political Empowerment Portfolio to UN Women quarterly and annual reports and UNCT/UNDAF mid-year and annual reviews and reports;
• Support monitoring and measurement of project progress and tracking the delivery of funds and prepare project reports as required;
• Ensure full compliance with operational UN Women rules, regulations in terms of programming, procurement, human resource and finance
Advocacy, knowledge building, partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
• Establish and maintain existing partnerships including government, CSOs, UN agencies and donors.
• Provide inputs to resource mobilization strategies to further strengthen the women’s movement in Uganda.
• Participate in strategic meetings with the aim of building strategic partnerships to strengthen the women’s movement and advocacy on GEWE in Uganda.
• Support the organization of advocacy activities and campaigns events, trainings, workshops and programme launches related to the Women’s Movement.
• Prepare gender inputs relevant to women’s movement, recommendations, briefs and briefings directed to decision makers in priority reform areas.
Facilitate knowledge management and sharing:
• Support effective knowledge management and sharing among partners on strengthening the Women’s Movement in Uganda
• Support development, technical review and dissemination of periodic briefs, success stories and other communication materials on the Women’s Movement
• Support an analysis of trends, documentation and synthesis of lessons learned and best practices for dissemination at strategic meetings.
• Seeks and incorporate synergies with other areas of UN Women’s mandate and with similar initiatives at country level;
• Provide other team members with updated information and knowledge on Women’s Movement in Uganda and beyond.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate must have an Advanced University Degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, International Development Studies, Gender/Women’s studies, Law, or any related area.
• A first-level university degree in combination with five additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
• Additional training in Gender would be an added advantage
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible work experience 4 of which should have been at a senior management level of a women’s rights organization.
• Demonstrated knowledge of women movement building
• Technical knowledge and experience in coordinating multiple partnerships involving government and civil society partners.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
• Knowledge in the concept and application of Results-Based Management (RBM) to programme/project cycle is an asset;
• Experience in the UN system and agencies, international and development assistance organizations is an asset
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
• Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
• Knowledge of Uganda and the Great Lakes region is an asset
• Development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender issues and women’s rights
• Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
• Knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
• Ability to maintain networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies·
• Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
• Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
• Good analytical skills
• Good knowledge of gender equality and women participation in electoral processes.
Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Job Education: Advanced University Degree
Job Experience: 7 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Click here to apply: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=92607