Job Title: Programme Officer Youth Think Tank
Organization: Restless Development
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 23,384,501 gross per annum
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Restless Development (Uganda) is an International NGO established to address the challenges faced by young people in Uganda by placing young people at the forefront of change and development. Our vision is for all Ugandan youth to live healthy and productive lives, fully supported by those around them. Our programming focuses on three core areas: youth sexual and reproductive health and rights, youth civic participation and youth employment and livelihoods.
About The Youth Think Tank:
The Youth Think Tank (YTT) is a research initiative launched by Mastercard Foundation (MCF) and Restless Development that works with young people from 7 countries in Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, and Ghana) exploring economic opportunities for young people. Led by Restless Development’s Uganda Hub, young researchers are trained and supported to lead the research process on different themes related to youth livelihoods, employment, education and financial inclusion. The insights generated will enable development actors and other key stakeholders and influencers across Africa and beyond to better understand issues affecting youth and identify solutions to increase and improve the engagement of young people in development initiatives.
Job Summary: The Programme Officer will support activities relating to our exciting regional youth engagement programme implemented in partnership with a major international donor. The programme will facilitate a youth-led research focused on youth economic opportunities, with the aim of feeding into important and emerging policy and development agendas. The programme is implemented from Uganda and targets other countries in Africa namely, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana, Malawi and Zambia. This position requires outstanding organisational and administrative abilities and excellent communication skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme implementation (50%)
- Support the Programme Coordinator in the selection and recruitment of the youth researchers
- Support the development of training, and other relevant materials drawing on best practice internally, nationally and regionally.
- Support the Programme Coordinator to train youth researchers on research methods and youth sector strengthening
- Support the youth researchers to conduct research on economic opportunities for youth
- Support the design and implementation of activities to increase the role for alumni of previous youth-led research in the programme
- Develop and implement ways for youth researchers to connect with communities and a broader group of youths.
- Support the Programme Coordinator to ensure the effective preparation, implementation, management and monitoring of the Youth Think Tank programme.
- Working closely with the Programme Coordinator, ensure that all reporting requirements are met and submitted on time to the Programme Manager
Logistics and Communication (25%)
- Lead on the logistical arrangements for the recruitments, trainings, events, travels, research and other programme related activities
- Develop annual project procurement plan
- Lead on timely procurement of all programme items
- Support the youth researchers in their logistical needs for fieldwork
- Develop logistical checklists to guide activities support
- Maintain an updated program supplies and equipment inventory
- Keep in constant communication with the youth researchers, Programme Coordinator and Programme Manager on routine activities that may affect the smooth delivery of the programme.
- Support the Programme Coordinator to update Restless Development on project progress and seek advice as necessary
- Keep consistent detailed records of logistical aspects of the programme
- Establish and maintain contact database for the project
- Produce concise monthly logistical reports.
Safety and welfare of Youth Researchers (10%)
- Work with the youth researchers to support their field inception activities and settling in.
- Keep in regular communication with the youth researchers and provide backstopping logistical support as necessary
- Train youth researchers in Restless Development’s safety and security procedures and manage work related incidents in line with the agency’s incident management protocols Develop plans to ensure safety of researchers when travelling
- Log the youth researchers’ travel and check all safety and security measures have been fulfilled before travel
Financial Management and Reporting (10%)
- Support the youth researchers in managing funds for the field
- Make payments for the programme related activities and keep accurate records of financial expenditure
- Manage event budgets
- Ensure that financial management is undertaken according to Restless Development policies and procedure
- Assist the Programme Coordinator in tracking the project budget Provide regular updates to the Programme Coordinator as required
Other duties as required (5%)
- Other duties as required. Occasionally working on weekends, late night in case of volunteer incidents and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Restless Development Programme Officer Youth Think Tank job must hold a Diploma in relevant subject (e.g. business administration, logistics, commerce, store management) OR demonstrated logistical experience with a local or international organisation/company
- Graduate-level Degree in relevant field of study or equivalent work experience
- Previous experience designing and delivering youth engagement programmes, with a particular focus on youth led-research and youth-led advocacy
- Previous experience managing research teams, including line and performance management
- Two years of experience in managing similar programmes
- A clear understanding of contemporary development issues particularly those related to economic opportunities and civic participation in Africa
- Ability to analyze problems and make sound operational decisions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
- Excellent IT skills
- Experience of making complex logistical arrangements for travel and organising events
- Experience of asset management and procurement
- Experience of finance management
- Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word etc.
- Ability to problem solve and make sound operational decisions
- Fluency in written and spoken English essential
- Experience of budget management
- Experience of working in a youthful, multi-culture environment
- Excellent budget management skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Restless Development in the aforementioned capacity should fill in this form, download here, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we DO NOT accept CVs, resumes and cover letters.
Deadline: 9th November 2018