Job Title: Programme Policy Officer, Cash Based Transfers (CBT)
Organisation: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Uganda
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The Programme Policy Officer (Cash Based Transfers) will provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food and cash assistance needs including through cash-based transfer programming, sustainable food systems, market access and social protection under Arua Area Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme, the incumbent will perform, apply and implement appropriate processes, procedures and policies that support the efficient and effective delivery of CBT programming at the AO, including:
- Work closely with programme, supply chain, and Area Office staff to assist them with carrying out assessments, data analysis and concrete understanding of financial inclusion, financial literacy and agricultural market linkages within scope of the AO operations
- Work with WFP-contracted Cooperating Partners and Financial Service Providers (FSPs) to ensure efficient and accountable cash distributions and transfers at field level;
- Ensure evidence-based and market-oriented scale-up of cash-based transfers across the settlements under the AO (West Nile and Acholi);
- Expand digital cash transfer mechanisms including the agent banking model with the objective of promoting financial inclusion for the people we serve
- Verify and clean beneficiary data and ensure that the appropriate entitlements are disbursed and reach the rightful beneficiaries.
- Assist in reviewing, dissemination, and implementation of CBT Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), to identify and document impacts on underlying processes, systems, people and the organizational structure.
- In coordination with the Head of Programme, provide regular feedback to the CBT Coordinator at Country Office level regarding the progress of distributions, including achievements and constraints as well as suggested improvement actions.
- Provide hands-on guidance to Financial Service Providers (FSPs) in the engagement with bank agents, CBT beneficiaries, smallholder famers and local retailers as part of the on-going expansion of cash transfers
- In collaboration with AMEL unit, Support in monitoring and evaluation of CBT across the target settlements under the AO Cost category IA
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Advanced University degree in Business, Finance, Sales, Retail, Supply Chain, Management, Marketing, IT orother related fields.
- A minimum of five years of professional postgraduate experience in digital payment solutions in relation toagricultural development programmes.
- Experience with mobile financial services, such as Agent Banking and/or Mobile Money is required.
- Solid knowledge of category management, marketing, supply chain, negotiation and sales principles.
- Proven experience in implementing financial literacy trainings and market-based programming
- Additional training in cash transfer programming is an added advantage
- Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
- Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.
- Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher) Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
- Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.) Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
- Emergency Programming Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.
- Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience in implementing humanitarian response programmes
- In-store experience in the visual merchandising, organization of products, pricing, management, sales, procurement, promotion.
- Analytical mind with a strategic ability, organization, attention to detail, be able to multi-task.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Previous experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, Livelihoods etc.).
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good training facilitation skills, hardworking, calm, mature, logical, culturally sensitive, result oriented andinterest in humanitarian development
- Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Local languages/dialects is a plus
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 8th July 2022