Job Title: Project Administrative Assistant-G5
Organization: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Duty Station: Jinja, Uganda
EAC Salary Grade: G5
Job Ref: LVFO/TRUEFISH /HR/2020/02 & LVFO/ E€OFISH /HR/2020/01
Project Title: TRUEFISH and E€OFISH Projects
Reports to: Programme Coordinator LVFO
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is an institution of the East African Community (EAC) charged with the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture. It was formed by a Convention in 1994 with major amendments in 2016. It is accommodated under Article 9.3 of EAC Treaty and registered as a regional fisheries management organization under the FAO UN Charter CAP 102. The overall objective of the LVFO is to promote sustainable management and development of the fisheries and aquaculture in order to contribute to food security and economic growth in the EAC region. LVFO has received funding from EU through FAO to implement the TRUEFISH project. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the development of a competitive, gender equitable and sustainable commercial aquaculture sector in order to support economic development and sustainable management of natural resources in the Lake Victoria basin. The project will deliver three result areas which include BUSINESS (access to commercial networks), SKILLS (availability and quality of local skilled workers in aquaculture-related businesses) and SUSTAINABILITY (sustainable and bio-secure regional aquaculture production systems).
LVFO has also received a grant from the European Union (EU) to implement the -Contribution of Sustainable Fisheries to the Blue Economy of the Eastern Africa, Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Region – E€OFISH programme. The overall objective is to enhance equitable economic growth by promoting sustainable fisheries in the East African-South African-Indian Ocean (EASA-IO) region. The specific objective is to support sustainable management and development of fisheries, while addressing climate change resilience and enhancing marine biodiversity. The programme purpose is to support the implementation of fisheries management interventions on Lake Victoria
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative services for the TRUEFISH/E€OFISH Programme.
- Oversee the day to day smooth running of the office.
- Ensure the proper implementation and adherence to laws, rules and Regulations;
- Assist in preparation and coordination of project meetings,workshops and seminers;
- Take minutes of various programme meetings;
- Assist in providing support and guidance to project partners for efficient implementation of the TRUEFISH/E€OFISH Programme;
- Devise efficient communication systems within and outside the programme;
- Assist in coordinating Consultant activities together with the Technical advisors/ Development advisors;
- Responsible for all records keeping and Data Management System in line with TRUEFISH’s/E€OFISH’s records keeping rules;
- Monitor the availability of accessories and stocks for project activities;
- Monitor project staff leave days and updates the leave schedule;
- Monitor travel schedules and coordinate travel logistics;
- Initiate project procurement requirements based on the approved budget;
- Prepare and submit technical and/or any other forms of specifications to the Procurement Unit for the office requirements;
- Liase with the Procurement Unit to establish appropriate bid evaluation criteria and participate in the evaluation of bids as a representative of the User Department;
- Responsible for Contract management once a contract is placed;
- Undertake conformity assessment of supplied goods, services and works with the contract and reports any deviation from terms of contract to the procurement unit;
- Prepare timely periodical reports of the project;
- Facilitate preparation of a funds requisition to the donor;
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the immediate supervisors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Diploma with specialization in Administration or a related field (University degree will be an added advantage)
- At least three (3) years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- Practical knowledge of basic public procurement procedures is an added advantage
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- Specific experience in managing programmes/projects with European Union OR FAO funding within an international or regional organization, national government, or other public or private organization.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (phone, fax, email, internet) and computer applications (MS Office)
- Very good written and oral knowledge of English.
- Politeness and helpfulness in dealing with visitors
- Understanding of administration procedures
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a competency-based interview and any other assessments deemed necessary.
- All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
- Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
- The Contract period is for four year (4) years, with a six (6) months’ probation, to be confirmed upon satisfactory performance. The above is a non-established position within the LVFO‘s organization structure
An Indicative basic salary of USD 22,815 (G5 salary scale equivalent) per annum, plus other related entitlements e.g. a Housing allowance of USD 4,800 (per annum), and a Transport allowance of USD 1,800 (per annum)
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an installation allowance paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a personal medical Insurance, and personal accident insurance cover.
Eligibility is restricted to candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates please apply online at the link below.
All Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned positions are advised to submit their application letter, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, or Passport online through this system by clicking the button labelled
“Apply Now” .
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to the email: [email protected]
Applications should be submitted to the address below
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
The Executive Secretary
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
- O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda.
Email: [email protected]
Deadline: Thursday 3rd September 2020 at 17:00hrs