Job Title: Project Manager
Organisation: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) on behalf of the Government of Uganda is executing a 4-year Global Environment Facility/United Nations Environment Programme supported Project on “ Institutional Capacity Strengthening for Implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing in Uganda”. The development goal of the project is to conserve Uganda’s genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge and access and share the benefits arising out of their utilization in an equitable and sustainable way while the project objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol and conduct effective awareness campaigns on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of the project. He/she will be responsible for the overall planning, coordination of project activities, and monitoring of project results.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and supervise the implementation of Annual Work Plans and Budget (AWP/B);
- Make recommendations for modifications to the project budget and, where relevant, submit proposals for budget revisions to the Project Steering Committee (PSC), and UNEP;
- In accordance with the approved AWP/B, develop detailed TORs for short-term consultants and contracts, assist with their selection and recruitment, then monitor and supervise their work to ensure timely delivery of outputs to an acceptable standard;
- Provide technical guidance and oversight for all project activities;
- Select the community-based micro-projects with support from the Project Steering Committee;
- Monitor and maintain records of actual project expenditures; ensuring that the project utilizes the available financial resources in an efficient and transparent manner;
- Assist in the set-up and implementation of the project M&E system;
- Closely monitor project implementation and results and prepare project progress reports;
- Oversee the progress of implementation of the different components of the project conducted by local and international experts, consultants, and cooperating partners
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation of all outputs of the project;
- With support of the Finance assist, Prepare and submit quarterly progress and financial reports as required, following all UNEP/GEF quality management system and NEMA administrative processes;
- With support of the Finance assist, collect other co-fmancing partners’ data and consolidate data into the overall project co-financing reports;
- Convene regular meetings in order to coordinate project activities with the co-financing projects, exchange lessons learned and harmonize approaches;
- Ensure regular communication and promote close collaboration with development partners, collaborating institutions and other stakeholders;
- Make all necessary arrangements and preparations for the missions of any international consultants and UNEP backstopping officers, including domestic logistic support, mission schedule, availability of relevant documents, and meetings with relevant officials as needed;
- Coordinate and participate in M&E exercises to appraise project success and make recommendations for modifications to the project;
- Facilitate the different workshops to be organized during the project period and assume full responsibility in preparing workshop reports/proccedings as applicable;
- Provide technical advice to ensure that that the appropriate approaches are followed during project implementation (participatory and integrated approaches, multi-stakeholder participation, etc.).
- Ensure that all project activities are carried out on schedule and within budget to achieve the project outputs;
- Perform other duties as may be required in order to ensure that project operations proceed according to schedule and foreseen project results are achieved.
- Perform other duties related to the project in order to achieve its strategic objectives
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency in use of computer applications and packages (Excel and word among others);
- Acts as a team player and facilitates team work;
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicates effectively;
- Shares knowledge and encourages the learning of others.
- Ability to work effectively with senior government officials, research institutes, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and local communities
- Good inter-personal skills, including fluency in written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge and experience with Government programmes
- Proficiency in use of computer applications and packages (Excel and word among others)
- Good writing and communication skills
- Demonstrates / Safeguards Ethics and Integrity
How to Apply:
All potential Candidates should submit applications in their own handwriting and deliver them by hand, through post office or by email enclosing copies of CERTIFIED certificates/transcripts and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255 Kampala, Uganda
Email: [email protected]
Deadline: 10th December 2021 by 5.00 pm