Job Title: Research & Design Manager
Organisation: Q-Sourcing Servtec
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Q-Sourcing Limited trading as Q-Sourcing Servtec is a manpower management solutions firm operating in the East African Region in the countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and South Sudan.
On behalf of our client, AFRIpads, we are looking for a competent, skilled, and experienced Research & Design Manager to work in Kampala, Uganda.
Job Summary: The R&D Manager at AFRIpads is responsible for the AFRIpads product portfolio and for managing all aspects of the research and development department. Key responsibilities of the R&D Manager center around improving existing products and developing and implementing new product designs through the complete product lifecycle, from market research to product development, consumer testing, and adherence to standards and safety requirements. The product range at AFRIpads currently includes reusable sanitary pads, underwear, storage bags, washcloths, and cloth backpacks. All products are manufactured in the AFRIpads factory in Masaka, Uganda, and are sold both in local and export markets.
This key management role in AFRIpads reports directly to the Managing Director. The R&D Manager is responsible for two direct reports – the Consumer Researcher and the Product Developer and requires occasional travel, including to the AFRIpads factory in Masaka and fieldwork where and as necessary.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Product Development management
- Lead product strategy (all aspects, including strategic direction of product portfolio, product enhancements, and future products)
- Assess feasibility and lead decisions on the enhancement of products and product offering (i.e., market analysis, cost price, manufacturability, user experience, etc.)
- Lead R&D team in product development processes and consumer research activities
- Establish and manage project goals, deadlines and priorities
- Communicate and present product ideas to managing director and other stakeholders
- Develop creative new packaging solutions for product
- Conduct market analysis and assess viability for product developments
- Lead team in the product design processes through brainstorm sessions and workshops to foster innovative design ideas
- Responsible for developing the cost price of new products or product amends
- Oversee product launches, collaborating closely with sales and marketing departments.
- Contribute to developing and document product USPs and key product information
- Responsible for the handover of technical product information to the manufacturing and supply chain departments to ensure successful and smooth product launches and product enhancements
- Oversee the quality, safety, compliance of raw materials and finished products
- Oversee product pilots and consumer research using human centred design approaches
- Manage the R&D team (i.e., performance management, training and development, HR, etc.)
- Manage the R&D budget
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Degree (preferably in Product, Manufacturing, Apparel or related field)
- At least five years of experience working in Product Management, Product Development or Product Design processes
- Experience working in related industries such as manufacturing, textiles, apparel, FMCG goods
- Two years of management experience with direct reports. Excellent leadership and managerial competencies
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills (English)
- Creative and problem-solving skills – able to conceptualise new products and create solutions
- Strategic thinking, critical thinking and analytical mindset
- Exceptional multitasking skills – superb in time management and meeting deadlines
- High competency levels in Microsoft Office products and Google Suite
- Solid business acumen and understanding of business and product strategy
- Demonstrated experience in budget management
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature
- Proactive and strong sense of self-initiative
- Experience with the design of packaging
- Experience with market analysis or Human Centered Design (HCD)
- Experience in manufacturing and textiles
- Experience with conformity to product standards (i.e., UNBS, ISO)
- Experience making technical packages or patterns
- Mid-level skills in Adobe Illustrator, including experience using illustrator to scale technical drawings
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet the criteria outlined as above are encouraged apply under the job vacancy “QSSU-AFR-RDM-RESEARCH & DESIGN MANAGER”.
To apply: Click Here
Deadline: 26th May 2022
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Q-sourcing Servtec is an equal opportunity employer. any solicitation will lead to disqualification.