Job Title: Safeguard Officer
Organisation: Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal Environment Officer
Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited (UETCL) is responsible for bulk purchase of electricity from the generating companies and selling the electricity in bulk to the distribution companies throughout Uganda. UETCL is also responsible for all exportsand imports of electricity to Uganda. UETCL envisions: “To become a leading strategic business partner in the transmission and Single Buyer Business and to support sustainable energy development in Uganda.”
Job Summary: The Safeguard Officer will support the Principal Environment Officer in operationalizing the safeguard monitoring plan, monitor implementation of the environmental and social mitigation measures, liaise with all relevant authorities for proper and timely project implementation and carry out any other duties as may be assigned to him from time to time by the supervisor to meet the future demand in line with company objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in the procurement of the supervision consultant and contractor to ensure that safeguard issues are covered adequately.
- Operationalize the safeguard monitoring plan in line with the contract requirement.
- Supervise the proper implementation of the environmental and social mitigation measures.
- Work closely with relevant Authorities (NEMA, NFA, UWA, CGV etc) to ensure adequate implementation of all requirements in line with donor and Ugandan safeguard policies and laws.
- Support the senior safeguard offer to liaise with the line ministries (MEMD) and Ministry of Finance; and any other relevant authorities for proper implementation of the project to ensure timely completion.
- Actively participate in environmental audits which may be required in substation, transmission lines before, during and after project completion.
- Ensure ecological and social aspects relating to land acquisition and compensation processes comply with set safeguard plans as well as approvalrequirements.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant for the Safeguard Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science or equivalent qualification.
- At least three years’ experience in similar assignments and more specifically supervision of works and projects.
- Significant experience with donor funded projects and reporting practices.
- Computer literacy skills
- Excellent supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- Highly analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to withstand stressful work situations and have willingness to work for long hours outside the official working hours.
- Be a person of high integrity, motivated, innovative and a committed team player.
- Possess a valid National Driving Permit.
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications enclosing photocopies of academic qualification certificates and testimonials along with their curriculum vitae indicating contact postal address, daytime contact telephone, fax or e-mail and giving three (3) referees to:
Human Resource and Administration
Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited
P.O. Box 7625
Deadline: 21st July 2017