Job Title: Senior Advisor – Operations & Procurement
Organisation: Technoserve (TNS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
TechnoServe (TNS) is an international non-profit international development organization founded in 1968. Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women break the cycle of poverty by building businesses that create jobs, income, and economic opportunities for their families, their communities, and their countries.
Job Summary: The Senior Advisor Operations and Procurement will work with program, country, divisional and headquarters staff to ensure timely and fully-compliant delivery of country program activities through the coordinated development and implementation of operational plans and targets including; procurement, inventory, asset and logistics management, repairs and maintenance, security, and fleet management in accordance with TechnoServe policies/procedures and donor regulations/requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Upholding Policies and Procedures of Critical Operations
- Conduct annual vendor pre-qualification for key products/services including: office supplies, fuel, vehicle maintenance and repair, transport (e.g. taxi service and vehicle rental), hotels, security, courier services, etc. and develop/manage Local Service Agreements
- Work closely with Program Managers on the creation of annual and monthly procurement plans for all program and country activities and review them regularly to ensure they are up-to-date and that the procurement process is well planned.
- Regularly review current TechnoServe and donor policies and procedures related to logistics, procurement, vehicle usage and asset management to ensure compliance with donor and corporate requirements. Train and update staff on policies regularly to ensure understanding.
- Lead, and ensure full compliance with policies at every stage of the procurement process including: reviewing Purchase Requisition requests, drafting RFQs/RFPs and evaluation criteria with programs staff input, seeking vendors, reviewing proposals, preparing bid analysis, screening vendors against prohibited parties lists, conducting due diligence (e.g. reference checks and spot visits to vendors), negotiating contract terms, structuring and managing contracts, verifying delivery and evaluating vendor performance.
- Review payment paper trails that are produced and carry out the operations check specifically required for processing by the Finance team.
- Maintain electronic and physical filing systems for all procurement and operations documents for the Uganda office including a vendor database that captures key data including performance/delivery feedback to ensure TechnoServe only engages high quality vendors
- Regularly benchmark costs for rent, IT support, and other key services to ensure that TechnoServe is getting value for money.
Engage with Implementing Teams (Procurement and Logistics)
- Act as focal point person for all Operational Activities (IT, Procurement, Logistics, Fleet and Asset Management) in Uganda
- Train and coach members of the program team in the use of the different operational tracking tools and how best these programs can benefit from the tools
- Provide pro-active advice to program teams to ensure optimal operational systems while maintaining adherence to TechnoServe’s relevant policies (e.g., vehicle policy, travel policy, procurement policy, etc.)
- Support in-country program teams to develop and update quarterly operational plans for procurement, team logistics, and vehicle management (including vehicle fueling and maintenance)
- Maintain a procurement tracker showing the status of ongoing and planned procurements and review regularly with country and program leadership.
- Serve as the coordinator for travel and support for members of the cross-cutting programs or EA Regional Teams traveling in the country, coordinating logistics of travel and accommodation
- Ensure a safe, clean well-organized and resourced office environment in all TechnoServe offices.
- Coordinate the administration of office resources and arrange for the repair and maintenance of the office and office equipment.
- Prepare and review monthly fuel reconciliation reports including vehicle maintenance reports by program and advise Program Managers on the way forward
- Oversee overall management of TechnoServe’s vehicle fleet, including establishing maintenance schedules, managing safety, security and tracking systems.
- Hire and manage all office drivers ensuring they receive all necessary training on TechnoServe’s policies and that they maintain credentials
- Ensure field vehicles and driver administration is executed in a professional manner and in accordance with TechnoServe vehicle policy and traffic regulations, and that all related vehicle logs are filled out appropriately and on-time
- Ensure that rental vehicles are fit for the purpose hired, hired drivers have an acceptable level of skills, and are briefed on TechnoServe policies and code of conduct
- Ensure vehicles have up-to-date insurance, registration and other required documents
- Maintain an up-to-date and accurate asset registry for Uganda
- Ensure the transfer and return of assets to/from staff in different duty stations is tracked
- Conduct regular physical verification/checks of all assets and inventory in TechnoServe Field Offices
Safety and Security in Collaboration with HQ
- Support the Country Director in collecting, updating and communicating about the safety and security situation in the country and operational areas when necessary and take precautionary measures to ensure staff safety.
- Develop, maintain and coordinate updating of the Country Safety & Security Plan
- With the support of the Country Director, ensure implementation of the Country Safety & Security Plan and other applicable safety and security related policies and procedures
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in procurement, business administration or related field, with a minimum of five years’ experience in procurement, administration and logistics, preferably with a Not for profit organization. OR Master’s degree with 3 years’ experience.
- Knowledge of International and National of procurement regulations and local market conditions.
- Knowledge of contract terms as well as proven ability to successfully complete purchase orders against specifications
- Membership in professional bodies such as IPPU and CIP preferred
- Familiarity with procurement standards and donor regulations (in particular USG)
- Excellent computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Internet
- Detail orientation, including strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to anticipate demand, manage multiple tasks / projects and meet tight deadlines
- Experience managing fleet/drivers is preferred.
- Good planning, coordination skills and ability to prioritize competing priorities effectively.
- Good analytical skills with ability to make independent judgment and decisions.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented with focus on meeting customer needs.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Good negotiation, communication, and relationship management skills.
Success Factors: Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Innovative Mindset: Curious inquiries, asks questions and seeks out information from multiple sources, learns from mistakes, sees change as an opportunity.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations an
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
How to Apply:
All applicants who wish to join Technoserve in this capacity should apply online at the link below.