Epicentre is an organization created by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in 1986. We conduct field epidemiology, training and research activities for MSF interventions. Our activities with populations in precarious situations are led from Uganda, Niger and France, and on MSF and other programs. They mainly concern infectious diseases and undernutrition.
In 1995, Epicentre created a permanent research centre in Uganda to support MSF projects in the region. The primary role of Epicentre in Mbarara is to conduct clinical research following Good Clinical Practice (GCP) requirements on critical public health burdens in Uganda and Africa. To reach this objective, Epicentre collaborates closely with the Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST). A full-time experienced research team is based at the Epicentre Mbarara Research Centre. The Mbarara research centre is located in Mbarara Municipality, 300 km South-West to Kampala.
The centre has an experienced team of doctors, nurses, statisticians, biologists, laboratory technicians, logisticians, and administrators who ensure quality of research. Current projects, including clinical and vaccinal trials, as well as diagnostic studies, focus on tuberculosis (TB), HIV, central nervous system infections, and yellow fever.
Epicentre Uganda benefits from a laboratory with a biosafety level 2 and 3. The laboratory is equipped to do microbiology including TB culture, GeneXpert tests, PCR, and routine laboratory analyses with automated methods.
The TB Laboratory manager shall bear the responsibilities for coordination and management of the TB laboratory activities and ensuring that all laboratory procedures are performed in accordance with the study protocols, SOPs and Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP).
General responsibilities (not exhaustive)
· Supervise all daily TB laboratory activities: smear microscopy, culture, GeneXpert, media preparation, molecular biology and others as applicable
· Validate daily results and lab results forms
· Be the communication link between the clinical team/investigators and the TB lab
· Ensure that biosafety measures are respected in the TB laboratory
· Make recommendations for appropriate corrective and preventive action and follow their implementation
· Train lab staff on procedures, quality controls, biosafety and conduct refresher training
· Participate in preparation of external order of equipment, products and reagents related to TB lab activities
· Be involved in research protocol development in collaboration with MUST collaborators and Epicentre epidemiologists in Uganda and Paris
· Participate in implementation of all protocols related to TB lab (operational procedures, sample and patient flow, staff organization, logistic, external resources, equipment and materials, planification, etc.)
· Participate in interpretation and/or analysis of study data generated from the TB lab
· Participate in writing of scientific articles related to TB studies
- Microbiologist (Master degree or its equivalent from a recognized institution) with strong experience working in Mycobacteriology
- Must have a medical or biomedical research experience and understanding of the medical laboratory quality management systems
- At least 5 years’ experience as a laboratory manager in a reputable laboratory
- Desirable field experience in resource limited countries and NGO’s experience are a plus
- Demonstrated command of English Language (both written and oral) with the ability to make presentations and effectively write/edit technical reports and documents
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities and shifting deadlines.
- Good team work, communication and management skills.
Position based in Mbarara, Uganda
Short term Contract: 12 months renewable
Start date : as soon as possible
Remuneration according to MSF/Epicentre salary grid.