Job Title: Team Assistant (2 Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 22-Administration-DOS-185035-R-Entebbe (O)
Reports to: Team Lead or designated official
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides operational support to all UN Secretariat entities, including advisory, operational and transactional support services and, where needed, exercises delegated authority on behalf of clients. DOS supports the entire UN Secretariat, consisting of almost 100 entities located around the globe.
Job Summary: These positions are located within the Forward Support and Deployment Hub (FSDH) within the Office of Supply Chain Management (OSCM), Department of Operational Support (DOS).
The Department of Operational Support was established to provide operational advisory services to client entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices away from headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions.
The Office of Supply Chain Management includes the Office of the Assistant Secretary- General for Supply Chain Management, Logistics Division, Procurement Division, Uniformed Capabilities Support Division, Global Service Center, the Enabling and Outreach Service, Aviation Safety Section and the Umoja Coordination Service.
The Forward Support and Deployment Hub (FSDH) is located in Entebbe and is structured into three cells: the Air Support Cell, the Movement Operations and Freight Forwarding Support Cell and the Regional Deployment Stock Cell. In collaboration with entities with which it is technically and administratively aligned, the Forward Support and Deployment Hub plays a key role in implementing the strategy and vision of the Office of Supply Chain
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Team Assistant(s) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assists the Team in a wide range of office support and administrative functions.
- Drafts responses to routine correspondence.
- Assists the Team in reviewing documents and editing texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards formats.
- Assists in implementation of operational strategies of the team within the service line by focusing on full compliance of administrative activities with UN rules,
regulations, policies and strategies and the provision of inputs to the service line’s administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures.
- Responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries and as necessary refers inquiries to appropriate personnel for handling.
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the team within the service line by maintaining contact with visitors and staff, make arrangement of appointments and meeting including meeting room reservation.
- Supports the team within the service line with leave monitoring and maintaining leave and absences.
- Maintains files and records relevant to the team within the service line; maintenance of office stationery supplies and any other related tasks.
- Participates in the training for administrative staff.
- Ensures effective administrative and logistical support by assisting support services provided to all FSDH staff and staff of the client missions.
- Perform data entry functions.
- Prepares processes and follows-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of staff.
- Maintains files of rules, regulations, administrative instructions and other related documentation.
- Maintains up to date the team files (both paper and electronic).
- Coordinates extensively with service line and liaises frequently FSDH, RSCE and client mission staff.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in administrative
- services, finance, accounting, audit, human resources, general office support or related area is
- Experience using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems such as SAP (Umoja) or equivalent is desirable.
- Experience working with MS Office Suite, including Excel and word processing is desirable.
- Experience in document processing and archive systems is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
This position is subject to local recruitment pursuant to staff rule 4.4 of the United Nations Staff Rules. All staff in the General Service and related categories shall be recruited in the country or within commuting distance of each office, irrespective of their nationality and of the length of time they may have been in the country. A staff member subject to local
recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international recruitment.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 31st July 2022