The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) commissioned the German Development Cooperation in 2014 to initiate the project: Promotion of Accountability and Transparency in Uganda. The project supports in particular the Office of the Auditor General in enhancing the effectiveness of public sector audits in Uganda as well as strengthening the interfaces between other accountability organisations like the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Authority (PPDA) and the Inspectorate of Government (IG).
About GIZ POAT Project:
The project aims to contribute to enhancement of accountability and transparency in government’s operations by improving institutional frameworks and building capacity of staff to effectively conduct their mandates and functions according to international standards. PoAT aims to strengthen the cooperation between OAG and the parliament and other relevant stakeholders, enhancing OAG’s compliance with International Auditing Standards (ISSAI’s), strengthening human resource management and development and streamlining training. Furthermore the project supports joint trainings and workshops of OAG, PPDA and IG to strengthen interfaces and enhancing knowledge transfer between the accountability institutions.
Job Summary: The technical advisor supports the project in particular in the following fields:
- To develop activities to strengthen the cooperation with external stakeholders.
- To establish effective instruments to strengthen human resource management and development (job evaluations, job descriptions, training needs assessment, training strategy and plan, curricula).
- Strengthen processes to improve the quality of audit reports.
- Develop audit guidance for specialised audits (like Gender Audit and Public Private Partnership Audit).
- Build capacity in the area of extractive industries and other relevant areas.
- Establish tracking mechanisms to follow up the adoption and implementation of audit recommendations.
- Strengthen cooperation and knowledge exchange with the PPDA and IG (training concepts, workshops, joint trainings).
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support project initiatives in the areas described and cooperate with a broad range of target groups, including government minis-tries, public institutions, private sector and civil society
- Support monitoring, evaluation and reporting and ensures sustainable knowledge management
- Implement Gender and HIV/Aids mainstreaming activities in the thematic
- Support public relations and documentation (e.g. development of communication products) in the thematic area
- The Technical Advisor shall assist in preparing and implementing the coordination process and joint project activities and monitor project progress
- Take part in identifying needs for external support and advice and work on policy recommendations
- Assist in designing terms of reference and support in the selection and supervision of third parties in the course of carrying out project activities, including performance evaluation
- Actively participate in the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the project
- Ensure quality assurance
- In the area of networking and cooperation the technical expert shall ensure cooperation, maintains regular contact and dialogue with partner staff members; carries out public relations work and cooperates with relevant organisations,
- In the area of knowledge management the technical advisor shall compile information on and ensures knowledge transfer
- Draw up reports and presents documents
- Assist with research activities and studies in accordance with project requirements.
- Become familiar with general GIZ project standards, concepts and states of implementation as well as with related experts and staff
- Represent the interests of the project.
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree in Economics, Accounting, Law, Administration or related field and appropriate professional qualifications (ACCA, CPA, etc.)
- Qualifications in project management shall be added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional working experience and excellent knowledge and experience in Public Sector Audit and public procurement
- Past exposure and experience in working with anti-corruption institutions is an added advantage
- Significant experience in working with national institutions, utilities and local governments in this field
- Familiar with project and contract management
- Excellent reporting skills
- Computer literacy i.e. working knowledge of ICT (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Ability to effectively transfer skills and knowledge
- Team player in multi-cultural and inter-disciplinary team
- Ability to analyse and structure complex situations and to focus on results
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and knowledge of German being an added advantage.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications to the Human Resources Department on Plot 23 Nakasero Road, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: Wednesday, 22nd October 2014 by 3.00pm.