Job Title: Transport Officer
Organisation: United Nations Department of Operational Support (DOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 22-Transportation-DOS-182615-R-Entebbe (O)
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) provides operational support to all UN Secretariat entities, including advisory, operational and transactional support services and, where needed, exercises delegated authority on behalf of clients. DOS supports the entire UN Secretariat, consisting of almost 100 entities located around the globe.
Job Summary: This position is located in the Movement and Operations Freight Forwarding Support Unit (MOFFS) within the Forward Support Deployment Hub (FSDH) of the Logistics Division, Office of Supply Chain Management in the Department of Operational Support based in the Regional Service Centre in Entebbe. The Transport Officer at this level reports to the Chief of Movement Operations and Freight Forwarding Unit of FSDH or designated official. The post is based in FSDH located in Entebbe, Uganda.
The Department of Operational Support was established to provide operational advisory services to client entities across the Secretariat, including other departments, offices away from headquarters, field missions, and regional commissions. The Office of Supply Chain Management includes the Office of the Assistant Secretary -General for Supply Chain Management, Logistics Division, Procurement Division, Uniformed Capabilities Support Division, Global Service Center, the Enabling and Outreach Service and the Umoja Coordination Service.
The Logistics Division performs a central role in the implementation of end-to-end supply chain management across the United Nations operations. The Division provides direction and advice on logistical matters, manages, monitors and assesses the delivery of strategic transportation and support services, and directs the delivery of transportation and specialist support services in the functional areas of air transport, ground transport, engineering, medical and supply, inclusive of fuel, rations and general supplies and security equipment.
The Forward Support and Deployment Hub (FSDH) is located in Entebbe, it is structured into three cells: the Air Support Cell, the Movement Operations and Freight Forwarding Support Cell and the Regional Deployment Stock Cell. The FSDH aims to enhance the operational and administrative effort through the implementation of policies and technical guidance provided by OSCM; and coordination, management, and monitoring of logistics and supply chain management operation for efficient, responsive, and reliable support to regional and ad-hoc operational requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Movement Operations and Freight Forwarding Unit in the FSDH, the Transport Officer is responsible for the following duties:
- Manages the operations of the Movement and Operations Freight Forwarding Support Unit (MOFFS).
- Coordination of Global Freight Forwarding contracts in support of clients freight transportation requirements.
- Assists in establishing efficient surface movement and 3PL contracts for UNOE and ad hoc requirements in support of clients’ logistics operations.
- Oversees the development of training including professional training and career plans for Unit staff.
- Assists in developing surface transport administrative, logistics and technical support objectives to effectively support clients.
- Planning and executing the surface movement of cargo and /or passengers in collaboration with Movement Control Section in UNHQ and clients.
- Plans the movement requested by the RSCE clients ensuring safe, efficient and cost-effective movement support is provided.
- Conducts a technical analysis of its feasibility and, if it is deemed feasible, plan how best to perform the task.
- Conducts a comprehensive cost benefit analysis for regional surface transport.
- Provides clients and other stakeholders a detailed execution plan.
- Reviews the regional freight forwarding concept in consultation with Global Procurement Support Section for viability of regional contracts.
- Assists in developing and implementing surface transport standard operating procedures (SOPs) incompliance with the UN MovCon Manual and host country laws and regulations. • Assist in developing plans for the efficient and cost-effective utilization of TCC assets, UN assets, and assets of other UN agencies.
- Conducts capacity surveys of relevant transportation infrastructure in the region, including potential transport commercial contractors.
- Liaises closely with supported clients and other UN agencies concerning surface movement matters.
- Identifies movement needs and determines how best to fulfil them utilizing available surface solutions.
- Develops plans and routing for surface transport tasks.
- Implements the plans and coordinates the projected tasks and support requirements.
- Assigns solutions to perform each identified task and ensure utilization to achieve maximum cost effectiveness for supported clients.
- Monitors the technical and safety performance of surface transport solutions and keep a record of their utilization.
- Maintains a forecast of asset availability.
- Where appropriate, develops and publishes regular task schedules for surface transport.
- Develops and maintains close working relations with motor carriers, water transport companies, and railway companies operating in the region.
- Coordinates with other UN agencies, NGOs, government agencies for movement requests related issues requiring planning and execution.
- Assists in developing and implementing a training program of UN surface transport operators to ensure that they are adequately trained to operate in the region.
- Implements surface transport safety and maintenance procedures and those on safe driving practices.
- Ensures that the surface transport fleet is adequately equipped with all necessary tools and safety equipment to enable it to operate safely.
- Provides input for the annual budget forecast of expenditure on surface movements.
- Monitors surface transport expenditure and ensures that it remains within the approved budget
- Carries out any other duties as assigned by the Chief FSDH or designated official.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in supply chain management, business administration, public administration, transport / logistic management, engineering, law or other relevant field. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in surface transport operations or related area is required
- Experience in working in or in support of a United Nations common system field presence, (inclusive of peacekeeping operations, special political missions, agencies funds and programmes), or other similar international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the advertised post, fluency in English, both oral and written is required; Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations in the aforementioned capacity should apply online at the online portal link below.
Deadline: 11th August 2022