Uganda Christian University was the first private University in Uganda to receive a university charter from the Government of Uganda.
The Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University in 2004.
A university charter is the highest level of national accreditation.
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997.
The university was formerly Bishop Tucker Theological College that used to train the Clergy and Educators from 1913-1997.
The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono.
Some International partnerships were behind the development of the College’s missionary history. The Church Missionary Society together with Ugandan leaders supported the College financially and materially.
By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on the society through the higher education besides theology. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Uganda Christian University offers a number of courses both at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level.