Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Human Resources Officer
Job Opening Number: 23-Human Resources-RSCE-199277-J-Entebbe (R)
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Administration of entitlements and benefits
- Accurately process the entitlements, benefits and payroll for the international civilian staff on behalf of the Client Missions and/or the RSCE, as well as claims for official travel and expense reimbursements.
- Assist in business processes related to payroll, leave entitlements, contract extensions, other entitlements, separations and final payments for civilian staff, non-staff and uniformed personnel.
- Provide assistance with regard to on-boarding, travel arrangements, payment of settling-in grants, check-in, check-out and separation activities for civilian staff as well as the installation and repatriation of recognized dependents.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of related guidelines, staff rules, HR rules and regulations, practices and procedures, and make recommendations through the Service Delivery Manager where necessary.
- Process and administer end to end entitlements and benefits of international staff members in the RSCE in an efficient and timely manner, i.e., Personnel Administration of Contracts, Personnel administration of movements, Time Management and Separations. Prepare justifications for exceptions for review by the supervisor.
- Provide guidance and advice to internal and external clients on Benefits and Entitlements, Staff Rules and Regulations and HR guidelines as first point of contact and promote a collaborative and client-oriented approach.
- Review requests for entitlements and claims. Handle non-routine and complex cases, undertaking, if necessary, research. Make appropriate recommendations where exception is required.
- Assist the service line with the administration and certification on the processing of benefits and entitlements processes in compliance with the Rules and Financial framework.
- Determine, certify and process financial entitlements related to appointments, reassignments, ongoing entitlements and salaries. Engage in comprehensive HR strategy including benefits and entitlements management.
- Make recommendations and proposals for the design and development of the delivery processes.
- Perform HR Administration of Benefits and Entitlements in UMOJA in line with the delegation of authority, maintains UMOJA entitlements and HR local contracts and administration roles.
- Assist in the review and processing of data pertaining to conditions of service.
- Resolve queries escalated in Ineed in UMOJA.
- Supervise and monitor the work of Human Resources assistants at the lower levels in carrying out human resources transactions.
- Assists in resolving complex HR-related issues and problems by conducting the necessary research, and preparing drafts for review by the supervisor.
Also Read: Senior Resettlement Assistant Job – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Provide general office support services; analyze incoming correspondence, draft and/or process a variety of correspondence and other communications.
- Set up, maintain and monitor reference files/records (electronic and paper).
- Schedule appointments/meetings, monitor deadlines, etc.
- Undertake research on various HR-related issues and prepare notes/reports.
- Maintain and monitor automated databases containing HR-related statistics and prepare periodic reports to HR management
- Prepare necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment, etc.).
- Provide guidance/training to less experienced staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Human Resources Assistant job should hold a High school or equivalent diploma. Required.
- Completion of a specialized Umoja HR Partners training course and certification for designation as UMOJA HR Partner, or similar training and certification is desirable.
- At least eight (8) years of experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area with human resources systems using SAP and administering entitlements in an international setting is required.
- Experience in the application of UN staff rules and regulations in an operational environment including administration of a broad range of entitlements and benefits using SAP or Umoja is desirable.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds and programmes) – or similar international organization or non-governmental organization – in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
- Experience working in a shared service centre is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of SAP and Umoja, ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and make recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 17th January 2023