Job Summary: The Project Officer will be stationed at the NPA offices and will report to the Project Manager, and working closely with the Project Accountant in execution of procurement and administrative functions of the project. Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the UN Volunteer, Project Officer will contribute to accountability mechanisms within the context of service delivery by strengthening oversight functions.
Project Officer needed.
Organisation: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Technical Support:
- In alignment with the project document, assist in preparation of the project annual work plan and budget;
- On a regular basis, assist with the drafting of progress reports focusing on expected results under the project
- .Assist with the preparation of concept notes and proposals;
- Within the context of project outputs and activities, support arrangements for roll out of training activities, data collection and analysis.
2. Project Reporting Support:
- Support the project manager in preparation of periodic reports, these include quarterly reports, regular updates on the progress, and annual reports of the UNDP-funded projects;
- Maintain consistent information sharing on progress towards attainment of projects’ targets and results;
- Support in monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Communications and coordination support.
3. Administrative Support:
- Provide logistical support that include purchases, practical organization of workshops, and processing travel documents;
- Coordinating and processing procurements of the project by compiling relevant background information for the process – initiating contracts as applicable, and liaising with relevant departments and other stakeholders to support the performance of contracts;
- Keep track of project assets by maintaining and regularly updating the asset register in accordance to agreed template;
- Keep track of trip reports, travel authorization forms, and expense liquidations;
- Provide support in coordination of events and other project-related activities.
4. Information and records management:
- Maintain up-to-date records for the project, both hard-copy and computer-based;
- Maintain and update project contact/partner database/list in an accurate and reliable manner;
- Draft and avail accurate and timely data/information including keeping track of lessons and best practices to feed into Knowledge Management for the project.
5. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a Master’s degree in Quantitative Economics, Statistics, Economics, or Economic Policy and Planning.
- At least three (03) years of progressive working experience in research, monitoring and evaluation, and development planning environment;
- Working experience with Government and international donor projects will be an added advantage.
- Language: Fluency in English in both writing and speaking.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Eagerness to contribute to an exciting and dynamic organization;
- Strong technical and analytical skills;
- Maintains the highest professional ethics and standards;
- Good analytical skills with working knowledge of database management systems;
- Good report writing skills;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and other Microsoft suite applications;
- Familiarity with use of spreadsheets and financial accounting packages;
- Ability to take initiative in resolving difficulties.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are one of the ideal candidates for this opportunity in working with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), then visit the web link below for full job details
NB: UNDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 15th November, 2013