Research Project and Research Manager Reducing Physical, Sexual & Emotional Violence
AfriChild Centre College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Deadline of this Job:
June 4, 2018
Africhild Centre, Makerere University
The AfriChild Centre (AfriChild) is a multidisciplinary research Centre that works to improve child-focused policy and practice through scientific research, analysis and knowledge development in colalboration with the public and private sectors, academia and civil society. The AfriChild Centre seeks to recruit competitive, competent and well motivated persons to fill two Research Manager positions to support research on reducing physical, sexual and emotional violence in secondary schools and research on Child Friendly spaces in Emergencies.
AfriChild in collaboration with London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Raising Voices seeks a Research Manager to implement a research project to reduce physical, sexual and emotional violence in secondary schools in Kampala district.
The Research Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the research project and will perform the following duties and responsibilities. (S)he will work under the supervision of the AfriChild Director Research and Knowledge Development.
- Working closely with London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Raising Voices, participate in research design and tool development
- Draft study protocols, work plans, budgets for field implementation
- Support the recruitment of data collectors
- Responsible for the management of data collectors for the study
- Spearhead training of data collectors and piloting of study tools
- Supervise data collection
- Ensure quality assurance during data collection and data management processes.
- Effectively engage key stakeholders to support the research project.
- Participate in data analysis, report writing and dissemination
- Participate in writing peer reviewed papers and policy briefs based on study findings.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
- Master’s degree or equivalent in the field of community development, education, public health, social work or related fields.
- Knowledge and expertise in the fields of child protection and psychosocial support
- Proven ability to work independently with appropriate guidance
- Strong communication skills both written and oral.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines while paying attention to detail.
- Experience of training and supervising research teams in challenging field settings
- Strong analytical capability with qualitative and quantitative data
- Capacity to work in challenging environments, managing multiple priorities
- Experience with quality assurance and data management of large-scale studies.
- Experience with coordinating multi-agency communications and reporting; and
- Familiarity with data management packages (e.g. use of NVivo , Stata )
Job application procedure
Interested individuals should send their applications and CV addressed to the Executive Director of the AfriChild Centre to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to the AfriChild Centre located at the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, Makerere University, Plot 103, Mary Stuart Road, opposite Lumumba Hall of Residence.
Deadline for submission of applications is June 4, 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Approximate Start Date: 1 July 2018