1 Corinthians 11:28, KJV: “But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.”
According to Merriam Webster, self-discovery is the act or process of achieving self-knowledge.
Self-discovery is a lifetime process of examining who you are and accepting who you are. This will help you know what you are good at, what you can do to become better, and what resources you can use to change the people around you.
Increasing understanding of who you are, your personal characteristics, tendencies, emotions, needs and values. It is about identifying your strength and weakness. It can thereby be broken down into internal and external self-awareness
Internal self-awareness is how clearly we see our:
- Values- The principles that guide you.
- Passions-What do you love to do and what makes you happy?
- Aspirations-What do you want to achieve and experience.
- Fit-what kind of environment do you require to be happy and engaged?
- Reactions-the thought feelings and behaviors that reveal your capabilities
External self-awareness is how people perceive you. This requires one to gain insights from the people around you.
You identify the activities that you are truly interested in when you do those activities they bring you joy and they motivate you the most. The pure enjoyment you receive by doing those activities will provide intrinsic motivation to keep you moving in a positive direction with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.
Hope and dreams
Basically, these are terms that are used to discuss expectations and desires for the future.
Hope is a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen. Here we want something to happen and think it could happen so we live with the expectancy that it might happen.
Dream can be a cherished ambition or aspiration or an idea created in your imagination in other words it’s something that you have wanted very much to do, be, or to have for a long time
Key question: How do l find my hopes and dreams?
Career discovery starts with being aware of what you can do (self-awareness). Exploring different careers and taking advantage of opportunities that come around.
How to discover yourself
- Look at yourself objectively
- Write down your goals, plans, and priorities
- Practice meditation
- Take personality and psychometric tests
- Find what you are passionate about, seek mentorship.
- Ask trusted friends to describe you
- Ask for feedback at work
- Assess your relationships
Benefits of self discovery
- Formally address your feelings and develop greater emotional intelligence.
- Understand your strengths and boost self-confidence.
- Consider your weaknesses and where you want to improve.
- Access your current situation and understand what is working and what is not.
- Understand how you react to certain situations and people.
- Consider which relationships you need to focus on and why.
- Clarify your goals and whether or not you are effectively working towards them.
- Make decisions and create solutions.
- Develop an action plan.
- Improve your relationships.
- Find the right career.
- Become physically healthier.
- Improve the quality of your choices and decisions.
- Have self-driven behavioral change.
“Discovering who you are today is the first step to being who you will be tomorrow.”- Destiny Odyssey