Job Title: Librarian (2 Job Placements)
Organization: Mengo Hospital
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Schools Administrator
Mengo Hospital was founded in 1897 in Kampala, and is the oldest hospital in Uganda. It currently serves as an urban community hospital that provides modern medical care. Mengo Hospital provides comprehensive care including radiology, obstetrics, dentistry, orthopedics, and surgery. Additionally, Mengo Hospital provides critical training and education to health professionals through its various programs in midwifery and nursing, health sciences, and laboratory technology. Mengo Hospital also has a dedicated research and development team that works to find new solutions to health issues in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Librarian will maintain an inviting learning environment by providing flexible access to the resources at all times and coordinating with both Tutors and students on search strategies while promoting the enjoyment of reading. The incumbent will establish possible opportunities of developing the library services, promote library use and produce plans for encouraging the use of the library services
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a friendly and inviting environment for students while in the Library.
- Manage the library facility by providing flexible access to the resources at the point of need
- Provide instruction for students and tutors on search strategies and promote enjoyment of reading
- Coordinate and plan the development of long range/strategic library goals and applications
- Maintain, assist and implement instruction as a resource person to tutors and students
- Collaborate with staff regarding the curriculum development and support
- Maintain an update collection of core medical and nursing books
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma in Library and Information Science or any other related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in similar roles in a reputable organization
- Desire to meet and serve the library’s user community.
- Proficient use of IT
- Strong analytical skills and able to develop new or revised systems, procedures, and work flows.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Knowledge of computers, the internet, and commercially available library software.
- Communication and team working skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates with relevant qualifications and experience should submit their application letters, detailed Curriculum vitae (CV), copies of academic transcripts, certificates, and valid contacts details (email and telephone) of three (3) Professional referees electronically by filling a form on our website at the link below;
Deadline: 2nd August 2019
- No hand delivered applications will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted