Job Title: Research Assistant (32 Data Collection Jobs)
Organization: Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI) is a center of excellence for Lung Health in the College of Health Sciences, Makerere University. Our mission is Lung health research that integrates disease prevention, clinical care and training in sub-Saharan Africa. MLI in collaboration with JSI will conduct the Quality of TB Services Study (QTSA), a
USAID funded national assessment that will assess the Quality of TB services in Uganda.
The study will be done across 200 facilities in 20 districts (Adjumani, Arua, Buikwe, Bukomansibi, Buliisa, Bundibugyo, Hoima, Kalangala, Luwero, Mubende, Butaleja, Gulu, Iganga, Kamuli, Kiruhura, Lamwo, Mbale, Mitooma, Ntungamo, Rukungiri).
Job Summary: The research assistants are primarily responsible for collecting field data. They will have direct contact with respondents and have a great bearing on the quality of data collected and ultimately on the quality of data output. They will also collaborate with other research teams for successful completion of data collection.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Field Work – preparation
- Attend training workshop for research assistants
- Receive data collection tools (questionnaires) and equipment (tablet computers)
- Conduct piloting of the data collection tools
- Establish contact with study districts and facilities.
Field work – data collection:
- Schedule time(s) with participants to complete the assessment tools
- Respond to questions the participants may have about the assessment
- Perform day-to-day data collection activities: travels to health facilities to collect data
- Review and edit data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information
- Receive data queries from the data manager and resolve them or clarify data collected if needed
- Report/send data collected to the server at the end of each day
- Comply with the requirements necessary for conducting a successful participant interviews
After field visits:
- Ensure that all questionnaires are complete, and all data captured is kept secure at all times
- Ensure that all equipment is accounted for
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should be trained in any health related field
- Experienced in electronic data collection
- Prior experience in collecting TB data
- Familiarity with the use of an android tablet
- Computer literate
- Ability to work independently as well as an effective team player
- Experience working in rural settings for extended periods of time
- Ability to speak native languages in the area.
How to Apply:
Deadline: 22nd July 2019 by 2:00pm