Job Title: Agribusiness Officers (OS) (5 Job Placements)
Organisation: Ministry of Agriculture, Animal industry and Fisheries
Funding Source: National Oil Seeds Project (NOSP)
Duty Station: Mbale, Arua, Lira, Gulu and Hoima, Uganda
Reports to: Value Chain Team Leader
The Government of Uganda (GoU) has received a loan from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) towards financing a ten-year National Oil Seeds Project (NOSP). The Project is being implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) as the Lead Project Agency, in partnership with the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG) other agencies, the private sector and farmer Organizations. The Project will be implemented in six area-based hubs: West Nile, Gulu, Lira, Karamoja, East and Mid- Western Uganda.
The project goal of the NOSP is: “inclusive rural transformation through sustainable development of the oilseeds sector”, while the Programme Development Objective is to accelerate commercialisation in key oilseeds value chains and thereby improve the livelihoods and resilience of the smallholders engaged in oilseed production and marketing.”
Job Summary: The Agribusiness Officers will assist the Value Chain Team Leader in the overall technical leadership in planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities under Component 1 (Support to Oilseed Value Chain Development) and ensure effective coordination, management and capacity building of project staff for effective planning and timely implementation of activities within Component 1. They will also be responsible for the professional development and coaching of the project team so that they can run all Component 1 activities without external support by Mid Term Review. A critical part of his/her work is to ensure full and active participation of the hub team members from the different implementing partners and to build and maintain strong relationships with the parent implementing agencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of guiding the day-to-day project activities in the hub to meet the project Hub targets. This includes planning and budgeting for project activities in the hub; management, supervision and coordination of the implementation of project activities in the hub; and reporting on project progress;
- Ensure that service providers’ workplans and budgets and reports are submitted in time with the project guidelines and targets;
- Ensure that the District Local Governments’ (DLGs’) work plans and Budgets and reports are submitted in time, in line with the project guidelines and targets;
- Regularly engaging and supervising the service providers and DLGs to ensure effective implementation of the work plans and budgets;
- In charge of facilitating meetings between farmer groups and other value chain actors
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Applicants should be Ugandans holding an Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Agribusiness Management, Development Studies, Marketing or related field;
- Minimum of a post graduate Diploma in any of the above fields from a recognized University/ Institution is of added advantage.
- At least five years of work experience in the development and/or private sectors, including a minimum of three years working experience in promotion of value chains and private sector development with demonstrable evidence of the results achieved
- Knowledge and experience in building the capacity of stakeholders in value chains.
- Experiences with Medium and Small Scale Enterprises investment proposal/plan development, appraisal, monitoring and evaluation, and feasibility analysis.
- Work record that demonstrates creativeness, innovativeness and entrepreneurial skills
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, facilitations and coaching.
- Proven skills in staff and budget management, networking and external communication.
- Good interpersonal skills and capacity to work effectively as part of a team.
- Good spoken and written English
- Communicates clearly in a variety of settings and styles and has good networking skills
- In-depth understanding of value chains development approaches
- Understands national and regional market dynamics of oilseed value chains
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their written applications with copies of identification documents, academic credentials, testimonials and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), indicating contact details of (03) referees addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, P.O. Box 102 Entebbe, Uganda or hand delivered to the Ministry Registry located at Plot No.14 Lugard Road, Entebbe. Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Deadline: Friday 4th November 2022