450 Study Scholarships
For 2014-2015, approximately 450 scholarships will be granted within Category 1, and approximately 100 scholarships will be granted within Category 2.
Who is eligible?
The scholarships are only intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees according to the information at University Admissions.
There is no age limit for scholarship holders.
The Swedish Institute is looking for applicants who display both intellectual ability and leadership potential and welcome applications regardless of age, gender and religious beliefs. The scholarship programme aims for diversity amongst the scholarship holders. Due to the large number of applications, applicants from countries with a high number of applicants per seat will be evaluated most thoroughly by selecting the best applications to a second evaluation round.
A scholarship cannot be granted for a student who:
- Has already lived in Sweden for two years or more previous to the scholarship period.
- Has Swedish or EU/EEA-citizenship, a permanent residence permit or a work permit in Sweden. (Not applicable for students from Syria.)
- Has previously been awarded a Swedish Institute scholarship for master’s level studies or research at a Swedish university/university college.
- Already holds a degree from a Swedish university/university college.
- Is currently enrolled in a study programme at a Swedish university/university college.Countries of eligibility
The programme is open to candidates from two different categories of countries.
If your country is listed here you can only apply within this category.
For 2014, citizens of the following countries can apply for the scholarship within this category: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma), Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Candidates with citizenship from the majority of countries on the DAC list of ODA recipients can apply to this program. Priority will be given to candidates from Algeria, Botswana, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Namibia, South Africa, Syria, Tunisia, Vietnam, the West Bank & Gaza, and Yemen.
Please note that candidates with citizenship from Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Georgia, Kosovo, Moldova, Russia, Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine cannot apply to this programme, but instead are eligible to apply for another scholarship SI scholarship programme:
- Citizens from Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine can only apply for a scholarship through The Visby Programme.
- Citizens from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo and Serbia can only apply for a scholarship through SI Scholarships for the Western Balkans.
- Citizens from Turkey can only apply for a scholarship through The Swedish-Turkish Scholarship Programme.
A list of eligible master programmes is available here.
The list includes the majority of the master programmes presented at University Admissions. The programmes are selected by the Swedish universities/university colleges.
Scholarship benefits and period
The scholarship covers both the tuition fee (which is paid directly to the Swedish university/university college by the Swedish Institute) and living expenses to the amount of SEK 9,000 per month.
The scholarship is only awarded for programmes starting in the autumn semester (August/September) and is granted for one academic year, i.e. for two semesters at a time. It will be extended for programmes longer than two semesters provided that the student’s study results are satisfactory.
The scholarship is designed to cover living costs and study expenses for the scholarship holder. There are no grants for family members. The granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended beyond the study programme period nor can the scholarship be transferred to another study programme at a Swedish university.
Scholarship holders will receive a travel grant in connection with the scholarship. The travel grant is a one-time payment of SEK 15,000.
Scholarship holders are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the scholarship period.
How to apply: http://www.studyinsweden.se/Scholarships