[ Type: FULL TIME, Industry: Health Care, Category: Science & Engineering ]
Infectious Diseases Institute
Deadline of this Job:
8th June 2019
Within Uganda, Kampala, East Africa
Date Posted: 27th May 2019, Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with a strong emphasis on infectious diseases through research and capacity development. lDl has ﬁve operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (including the CAP-certiﬁed IDI Core Lab) and Outreach.
With the help of international and local partners, the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) has established the African Centre of Excellence (ACE) in Bioinformatics and Data-intensive Sciences
– Uganda at its McKinnell Knowledge Centre on the main campus of Makerere University The ACE is a specialized unit providing advanced computing infrastructure and software to enable storage, retrieval and analysis of data from high-throughput sequencing, microarrays, proteomics, imaging, clinical, epidemiological and any other data-intensive studies. In addition. the ACE will host state of the art collaborative teaming technologies including a telelearning centre, and an iﬁrlual Reality (VR) training room.
ln order to achieve the above objectives, IDI seeks to recruit a motivated and competent Bioinformatics Scientist (BS) for the centre as indicated below;
JOB TlTLE: Bioinformatics Scientist
Vacancy Code: BSX01
Reporting line: Director ACE
Duty Station: Kampala
The BS will be a full-time staff who is familiar with
the application of computational and biotechnology capabilities to biomedical problems like genetics, clinical and medical research, as well as other data-intensive analyses. By coordinating all centre technical tasks and providing broad administrative oversight, s/he will have the primary responsibility for achieving the objectives and targets and institutionalizing the policies and procedures set by the ACE management Committee on which s/he will serve as Secretary…
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Synthesize and compile technical and analytical needs of incoming job requests
• Participate and take lead in analysis of genomic data generated at the institute in collaboration with researchers and principal investigators,
• Process analytical service requests through the management committee
• Guide users and centre staff in the use of biointcrmatics tools, databases and methods
• Guide users and centre staff in the use of Big Data analysis tools and methods
• Consult with the Director to resolve emerging day-to-day problems
• Propagate bioinformatics adoption within lDl and the Makerere University scientiﬁc community through demonstration of its utility in modern science
• Generate demand tor, and design strategies for meeting a wide variety of current and emerging needs for centre services
• Supervise and mentor junior staff, students and visiting scientists and provide bioinformatics technical support to staff and scientists at lDl and the wider University community
• Participate as an organizer and/or instructor of the centres training activities; short term (workshops) and long term (degree courses) in biointormatics or data-intensive sciences
• Develop a dynamic reference list for data and sample repositories in lDl and the wider College of Health Sciences, which can be “mined” for biointormatics work and facilitate access to such resources
• Advocate for and support the introduction of system-wide mechanisms for integrating bio
• banking, medical /ﬁeld research information (records) and genomic information in order to facilitate efﬁcient, multi-disciplinary interaction between clinical and computational experts.
• Introduce standards to maximize re-usability of tools and data sets to increase efﬁciency and productivity while monitoring the environment for new needs and new trends.
• Guide centre staff in the management of ACE ﬁnancial and technical resources, in facilitating ethical compliance, and in setting up appropriate programmatic reporting frameworks
• Participate in scientiﬁc writing and presentation of research ﬁndings
• Play a key role in writing grants, generating fees for services, creating partnerships and supporting other resource mobilization for the centre; manage and report on the centre’s ﬁnancial status
• Manage the maintenance, maximum utilization and sustainability of all resources housed by the ACE including equipment and ﬁttings in the Virtual Reality Room, the telelearning room, and the server room
• A minimum of PhD level training in Bioinformatics and/or Computational sciences OR a Masters in Biointormatics with at least 5 years’ high-level experience in lieu (equivalent to a senior scientist level).
• Expertise in genomics, epigenetics and computational biology (hands-on experience with the Unix platform, bioinformatics tools, bioinformatics primary and secondary databases, scripting languages such as Python, R and a strong grounding in biological sciences).
• Familiarity with commonly used bioinformatics tools (samtools, lG\l, ANNOVAR, GATK) and tile formats (BED, VCR, FASTQ, BAM)
• Familiarity with commonly used and publicly available bioinformaiics databases, (e.g. GenBank, Ensemble, DDBJ, GEO, SRA, ExAC, ESP, Clinvar, KEGG, HGMD, OMlM, PubMed, UCSC)
• An understanding of genome sequencing technologies and strategies
• Have a familiarity with Big Data analysis including Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning
• Skills in the design of appropriate statistical analysis of experimental data,
• Technical/scientiﬁc writing skills
• Strong project management, communication and interpersonal skills
• Membership of relevant professional networks such as the H3A, ASBCB, EASCB, ISCB and ISMB
Job Education Requirements: Masters
Job Experience Requirements: 5 years
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job application procedure
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate, Candidates that know that they meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in the above position, please send their Cvs, which should include details of email address (if any), present position, current remuneration, Certiﬁcate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address not later than 7th June, 2019. (Email your application and CV to hr@idi,co.ug and let’s save the environment).
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter. CV and certiﬁcates are attached as one document
4. indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject for your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualiﬁcation.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute – IDI
Knowledge Centre, Makerere University
Main Campus; College of Health
Sciences, Makerere University
P. O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda